Is there any alternative to basepart.Velocity?

I am trying to figure out how fast a part is moving/falling so then I can figure out if it stopped. The problem is when I went to check basepart.Velocity, it is deprecated. How should I check how fast a part is moving now? I tried checking the internet and API and couldn’t find anything similar yet. How do I do this?

1 Like

No, that would not really work, as I am just using the roblox physics engine.

The following properties/method which were released last month are the new alternatives to this:

AssemblyLinearVelocity
AssemblyAngularVelocity
:GetVelocityAtPosition

A Roblox Staff member confirmed in the Release Notes that using part:GetVelocityAtPosition(part.Position) is how you could replicate the old Velocity property, but the AssemblyLinearVelocity property is what the majority of use cases may require.

Post Edits Changelog

Edit #1 (May 20th, 2022) – Updated the Roblox Developer Hub Documentation links throughout this post to the new Creator Documentation pages.

Because the Roblox Developer Hub will be superseded by Roblox’s Creator Documentation, I figured that it would be better to replace the links in this post sooner rather than later so that the main post wouldn’t have broken links in the far future.

Before

AssemblyLinearVelocity - Developer Hub Documentation
AssemblyAngularVelocity - Developer Hub Documentation
:GetVelocityAtPosition - Developer Hub Documentation
Velocity - Developer Hub Documentation

After

AssemblyLinearVelocity - Creator Documentation
AssemblyAngularVelocity - Creator Documentation
:GetVelocityAtPosition - Creator Documentation
Velocity - Creator Documentation

2 Likes