Is there any way of using Luau outside of Studio on Windows? Can you integrate it with C/C++ like with regular Lua?

So, I am learning C and C++ currently and I was wondering: is there any way that I can install Luau on windows so I can run the code on an external editor (for example, Visual Studio Code)? Based on my experiences with regular Lua, it is harder to install the source code/binaries on a Windows machine. To run it, do I install a binary and hook it up like regular Lua (e.g. setting environment variables, getting build tasks ready)? Or do I just put the source code in the folders and run it that way?

I want to see if I can develop a simple application with Luau and C or C++. I believe Luau has better speeds and task.wait() makes it much easier than doing a custom wait function in my opinion.

I’ve tried setting it up like Lua, but if I enter a print statement and do something like task.wait(), I get an error saying, “attempt to index nil with wait.” Is there any way of fixing this?

Sorry if this post is messy; it’s my first one.

Luau was open sourced very recently, but it doesn’t include the task library.

1 Like