Is there any way to have a live group member count?

I am not so experienced with HttpService- so I guess I need a little help heh.
Can someone answer with a script that will update the members even when one joins, like on a TextLabel for example.
And explain how it works since I need to know this.
:smiley:

7 Likes

You can GET this api to get the member count, and then print the memberCount value.

Here’s an example of a request using RequestAsync:

local HttpService = game:GetService("HttpService")

local response = HttpService:RequestAsync{
	Url = "https://groups.roblox.com/v1/groups/"..groupId..
	Method = "GET";
	Headers = {
		["Content-Type"] = "application/json";
	};
}

if response.Success then
	print("Status code: " .. response.StatusCode .. " " .. response.StatusMessage)
	print(response.Body)
else
	print("The request failed: " .. response.StatusCode .. " " .. response.StatusMessage)
end
2 Likes

1 Like

@Shyfoox Apologies, I did not realize that ROBLOX does not allow access to API’s from in-game. If you want to use the API from in-game you need to use a proxy server, or set up your own server that handle’s GET requests and returns a response body.

If you are not able to set one up/get access to one take a look at this tutorial. I cannot however guarantee that it still works though.

3 Likes

Alright for anyone else who looks at this thread. Yes it’s possible to get a live group member count.
This is how I did it.

local GROUP_ID = "" -- the group you want to see the live member count for

HttpService = game:GetService'HttpService'
Url = 'https://groups.rprxy.xyz/v1/groups/'..GROUP_ID -- use a proxy due to Roblox not allowing requests.

Name = HttpService:JSONDecode(HttpService:GetAsync(Url)).name -- get information

while wait(5) do
    Members = HttpService:JSONDecode(HttpService:GetAsync(Url)).memberCount
    script.Parent.Text = string.format('%s\' Live Member Count:\n%s', Name, Members)
end

NOTE:
You will need to enable HttpService (Allow HTTP Requests) for this to work.

Also this is an example if it was part of a TextLabel. Of course this can be changed anyway you want it to be. Members does NOT pass a integer value, if you want to use it as one use tonumber(Members).

Example usage

I hope this helps!

17 Likes

it works good and thank you for it

2 Likes