Is there any way to see what the Roblox physics engine considers the center of mass of an assembly?

Question is in the title. Just wondering.

2 Likes

You’d likely get more useful answers if you gave context.
I follow your work, so I happen to have seen the revelant tweet:

Giving context helps avoid the XY Problem!

Well, I’m not looking to solve any problems through a center of mass display. I am mainly seeking this knowledge so it can assist me during debugging. As far as I can tell, there is no such toggle for center of mass, which is quite disappointing.

Looks like this was fixed and possibly reverted.

I don’t know who you are responding to, but this has nothing to do with what I am asking. I am looking to see if there is any way to view the center of mass of an assembly, like how you can see other physics properties through the physics settings.

I’m talking about the issue in your tweet.

Alright. I appreciate you trying to help, but that really wasn’t what I was interested in. The title of the post is what I intended to ask; there is no further context to the problem that would change anything about it.

There currently isn’t a way to fetch the CoM with either a property or a method. A CenterOfMass property does exist for BaseParts, but it doesn’t seem live and it’s been down for a while. I don’t know if there’s ever any plan to make this public or not, if it’s of any use or if it’s accurate. This is for single parts as well, not whole assemblies.

Finding the Center of Mass has been a discussion for quite some time and has appeared as a Feature Request before, both of which have never carried a decisive answer. I realise though that this isn’t quite answering the question and neither would providing a method of finding that, as they aren’t the same.

With this in mind, is there a way to see what the engine considers the CoM of an assembly? No.

3 Likes