Is this a good or bad game idea?

Right now, I am making a game, It is going to be a 64 type game with the old style. I want it to be like Mario 64 and banjo kazooie where you go in the main building and go through portals. This is what I have so far, this is what I have

I love 64 and retro games the most. I think this would be a fun game, looking at robot 64, its the only 64/retro game on roblox to be honest. Would this be an easy thing to make.

How it will work
Tix = coins and can heal yourself
Robux = stars or if you never played 64 or any original Mario 3d game, MOONS.
I want there to be at least 10-16 dimensions; PORTALS or computer/tv screen.

Controls
Mainly Mario 64 controls

SOLVED BY heymannyandgio

Things that will need to be scripted

• portals to dimensions, (with animation)
  • stars/Robux
  • Main menu/save files
  • Tix/Coins
  • Buying stuff dev products, (tix currency, save files, pets, trails if wanted)
  • saving the game

How it could make robux

• Save files
  • more tix for hats

I’m asking

• Feedback and criticism
  • If I did finish, would it be popular?
  • Any easy ways to help make controls, it will be hard
  • If this was finished, how could I make robux?
16 Likes

I think this is a great idea but for it to really stand out you need to nail the mechanics

LIKE NAIL THEM :nail_care:

4 Likes

The game sounds interesting! So far, it looks great! Can’t wait for it to release!

3 Likes

Thank you two for the feedback

1 Like

Tbh I am not a good or even a decent scripter, if you compare Lua to school, I am still learning my ABCs and what 2+2 is. So if I save up enough robux, I could afford to hire someone.

1 Like

Oh wow then your going to have a pretty hard time on this project well I guess it depends on how good your scripter will be

1 Like

I think it’s a good game idea, but you have to know if you’re capable of doing that and delivering what people expect, ie you have to meet the demands and criterias that players expect from your game. Not to mention the time it could take to finalize it without a team.

Edit: Nothing is impossible so don’t give up :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you for your support, I do know some scripters that are decent that could help.

2 Likes

Not bad, although if you are aiming for a retro styled game, I don’t recommend having a semi modern building as the one pictured above. Try making it more old school to match with the theme you are aiming for. If it’s too hard to renovate, then it’s ok to completely redo the building from scratch, because when’s the last time a modern glass building was ever present in a retro game like Mario 64. Otherwise, good start, and if you take my suggestions, it should make the map a better match for your targeted theme. Keep up the good work!

Disclaimer: I am not trying to discourage you in any way, shape, or form. I am simply just giving my opinion on this topic.

I would love to see a game like this!

But you have to first make sure that you are capable of making such a game like @SuperZebe1 said.
Scripting the platformer movement would take a lot of time. And the level design would also be hard to make. Especially with one person working on this. If you’re a beginner then I would just probably recommend abandoning this project and make a more simpler game to be completely honest. That way you can gain more scripting experience and knowledge and start this project again once you’re better.

Yes, but not in concurrent players though. Many great games on roblox are highly underrated. Take robot 64 for example, the game usually has about 500 concurrent players. But the game has gained a lot of respect from the Roblox community, and it hasn’t died off. In short I’m saying that if you did complete this project you would probably gain a lot of respect, and your game would probably stick around a lot and not end up dying off.

You could use a platformer character controller but the thing is, the character controller will probably not have the specific moveset you want. For example, it will probably not have the triple jump or roll.
@EgoMoose made a great open-sourced platformer character controller here.

Probably what you had said previously. You could just sell the in-game currency (not the collectibles that unlock the different areas. I’m talking about the tix)

Once again, this is all just my personal opinion, if you feel that you are capable of doing this project then do it.

Good luck!
Hope this helps!

1 Like

Oh thank you, I just remembered Mario 64 does not have roll, it was odesy lol, and I have many developer friends that would help. I am no beginner, I have been modeling and building for a year now, but thanks for the advice * Message heymannyandgio. But I will try to get some more scripting knowledge in the future, thank you so much. I mainly want most the level design, to teleport you to old games, like sword fighting on the heights, but I do want half the levels

to be original.

1 Like

Well I want it to be more old roblox than old school. Tbh, that is why I put down an original roblox headquarters, with the old style bricks for the baseplate. If more people prefer mario 64 type, then ill change it.

But thank you so much for this move set

1 Like

That’s a great idea for a nostalgic game! Don’t give up. I can’t wait to see the finished game :wink:

1 Like

I added the character to the pictures.

It doesn’t seem the most original.
Based off what I see and some of the mechanics you’re thinking of it sounds like a mix of

But that also has mario 64 inspiration so e. the next one is a bit more e

and
https://www.roblox.com/games/2129966506/Uuhhh-wav

Also the character looks a bit odd.

I have never heard of https Christmas-Uuhhh-wav. Most 64 games have the paintings. Have anyone hear every played the Nintendo 64 version of banjo kazooie. You go in the witches base and go through paintings using puzzle pieces. I mainly want is to be more of those games.