Is using sprite sheets possible to create an animated pet?

I recently had an idea for a game bloom in my head, however, the game would require one important thing. Animated pets. And not just your normal low poly or cube pet, but a 2D or Sprite pet. Knowing nearly nothing about scripting, I did some digging but could only find sources that displayed using sprite sheets in the form of UIs. So I was wondering if it is possible to create a pet that follows you around using a sprite sheet, or something similar, and if so what is the best way to go about it?

1 Like

Are you referring to flipbooks? It’s the only solution I can think of for this. Roblox is pretty limited.

2 Likes

You can display any image with an ImageLabel, so yes. You can make a fully 2D game if that’s what you mean, although Roblox isn’t the best engine for it you definitely can. You can also have 2D graphics embedded in 3D, like having 2D pets running around a normal Roblox game. You’d do this using SurfaceGui. You can totally use a sprite sheet as well by setting the image rect. Read up on ImageLabel, there’s a code example of just your situation.

1 Like

I made a janky 2D fighting game prototype using this script, sounds like you might find it useful

1 Like

Thank you so much, embedding 2D graphics into 3D was something I had considered after seeing what Adopt Me had done with their 2D cat but had no idea how to go about doing something similar. I’ll definitely be diving deeper into using SurfaceGui as you recommended!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.