Issue with the "publish all" package feature

I have a game with several places. In order to update them efficiently I wanted to use the packages feature. I have all my game’s code and assets (except the maps, those are unique per place) inside a package. The root of the package is a Folder object.

When I use the publish all feature, I expect the latest version of the package to be present in all of my places when I play the game. However, this isn’t the case. After a publish all operation, the places are still outdated when I play the game - but they’re updated when I open them in studio. However, I still have to publish them manually to make them update in the actual game. Which is really confusing because the version that is updated in studio but not in game is still the exact same place, right? So why does it make a difference whether I open it in studio or through playing the game?

This happens 100% of the time with no exceptions, and it’s happened ever since I started using packages a few weeks ago.

Does anyone else have this issue? Am I using packages wrong?

1 Like

Places don’t automatically publish last time I checked due to developers not wanting to accidentally push an update. I think you still have to publish a place in studio each time it’s updated.

Really? Is there no way to update where you specifically say that you want to also publish the places after updating either? If there’s a fear of accidentally pushing updates with this feature, shouldn’t it just be two separate options or something?

I thought the fact that games with many places could be updated quickly was one of the biggest advantages of packages. But if I have to open all 20 of my places in studio every time I want to update regardless…? That’s unfortunate, but thanks for letting me know.

Edit: Seems like this exact issue is discussed here

1 Like

I do think that it would be nice to have a publish all feature, while having the option. If a developer didn’t want to push an update, then they wouldn’t hit the publish all button. Publish all and update all should be separate if they do add it, which I hope they do.

2 Likes