Keep a player on top of a volatile moving platform?

I’ve been doing a lot of experiments with VR and I’m trying to make an interactive experience between VR users and desktop users. So I can eventually expand it into a more comprehensive game. With some notes taken from how Skeds VR Playgrounds handles movement I’ve hit a wall.

My issue is

• Even though players stick to the ‘platform’ - with any quicker movements they slide off. I want them to have a little more grip

My current implementation

• Client sends server data of hands position, the server then updates a Body Mover and Body Gyro when it gets this new information
  • Density of the hand is 100 (A vast improvement from the default value for sticking)
  • Friction of the hand is 2 (No noticable improvement)

SOLID = CLIENTS VERSION OF HAND (NON-COLLIDED, FOR CLIENT VISUAL ONLY)
RED = SERVERS VERSION (Network ownership default (aka whoever is the closest player excluding the VR player since they do not have a character)

3 Likes

That looks awesome.

Have you thought about maybe playing around with constraints? What if you attached something like a RopeConstraint from the player’s foot to the block? That might help to some extent, also including the possibility of messing with it’s properties to achieve the right amount of grip.

Just an idea I had.

3 Likes

use body position and/or body gyro for volatile platforms, if your tweening the platform it will disregard all physics and it wont move the player.

2 Likes

I would ask you read the full thread before replying, as this is the exact implementation as noted.
It helps, but doesn’t solve my specific use-case.

1 Like

then you’ll need to fine tune your physics further and maybe use constraints like c_sharp said, I’ve never had to do anything extra for volatile platforms, so maybe your issues is something else.

1 Like

I’ve not messed with ant constraints - though I feel that would be a more botch sollution. I was hoping there was some variables I’m missing that up the grippy-ness of it.

All other interactions seem to work as intended
https://gyazo.com/5a4330d7cf270a2d168335b25e640d7f

1 Like

I don’t know how your system works however, I believe this may be a good post to check out for your situation:

1 Like

I’ve never seen any game that didn’t have this problem. If you’ve played Tradelands, they had a fix where the player could press a certain button when they are on a fast-moving boat that would weld them to it.

1 Like

I’ve had to fix things like this by replicating physics manually but if there are better solutions then maybe use them. I have a Remote Function that constantly checks and logs the ping of players by their response time and I essentially shift everything on all sides using CFrame, velocity, and rotvelocity based on their ping and the physics states.

This can be used to make sure that clients are compensating for the desync in the movement of objects and you could move the person if they are standing on it as well by finding their current position on the object and trying to maintain it, or again, simulating them on the hand locally.

The hard part about doing this though is the fact that you might have to clone the things you want to replicate, but this is the only solution I could find because roblox doesn’t natively use Client Prediction.

The main concept here though is that essentially, the client simulates all physics for itself and corrects based on ping and server results, with server adjusting inputs and controls for latency.

This also resolves the button problem as it would activate much sooner as the server will be near synced to the client (when the arm starts moving) and the client will activate it itself locally a bit sooner.

2 Likes