Known issue for Macbooks running macOS 10.12 (Sierra) and higher

Hey Developers,

We have recently discovered an issue where Studio’s script editor lags on newer versions of macOS, namely 10.12 (Sierra) and higher. This is because the current version of our application framework does not support the latest versions of OSX.

If you are on a Macbook running macOS Sierra or higher, there is a workaround:

• Go to System Preferences → Displays → Color (for the Built-In Retina Display)
  • Change Display Profile to Generic RGB Profile
  • Restart your Macbook

Additionally, you can use Studio on an external monitor to resolve the issue.

This should enable you to use Studio’s script editor as usual, without the lag. The other option is not to upgrade to Sierra or High Sierra when prompted to do so.

If you have any questions or encounter further issues with this, please post them on this thread.

Thanks,
Developer Relations Team

20 Likes

Will support be added? I’ve been told they’re working on a fix and obviously they weren’t lying, but the way you worded it makes it seem like it might not be added, and that progress may have been abandoned, just seeking clarification on that.

I’ve been pretty patient, reported this 3 and half months ago and this has been an issue for nearly a year ago, and it’s a major bug on a major platform. Sharksie even said 3 and a half months ago that it effected all the new Macbooks in the Roblox office, and it’s taken a year for a work around to be publicly announced?

Sorry if I sound super self righteous, it’s just this is one of the most frustrating bugs I’ve ever encountered, and it’s been taking ages.

6 Likes

I’m assuming this applies to the 5K iMac too right?

Yes… Yes it most certainly does.

It’s worse on my iMac 5K than every other Apple computer I have (I have a few :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ), probably because it caused by screen size and the 5K screen is yuggeee

Thank you for putting out a fix for it!! I’ve waited for this for over a year.

2 Likes

I just got this one today because I thought my Macbook was finally buckling down under Roblox. Didn’t think it was an actual Roblox issue :joy:

1 Like

Yes, it indeed does. Just bought a 5k iMac and experienced this issue.

Wondering why it has been taking them so long to resolve something as critical as this…

And they ignored my very easy question. It’s really insulting :confused:

Hey everyone,

Sorry for the late response. I was following up on a few of the questions before responding.

Thank you very much to everyone who reported this issue to us directly. Unfortunately we do not have a clear ETA for when a patch to the current issue will be released. As previously mentioned, this has been an ongoing issue that took us a while to investigate. Finding and verifying these instructions also took time, because we had to make sure all the technical details were correct.

We agree this needs to be fixed, but have been unable to push out a fix as fast as we have for other issues in the past since this one will require heavy engineering efforts. Our team will definitely continue communicating important updates on this issue to our developers in a similar fashion as this thread. We hope this has answered all of your concerns. If not, please feel free to ask and I will follow up with you.

If you know anyone experiencing this issue, please let us know so we can keep track of those impacted.

Thanks,
Developer Relations Team

I can understand that the engineers have a lot on their plate, although I do agree that this is indeed frustrating. I hope that they move this problem up on their que, since it’s one of the more development prohibiting issues.

It’s been a year

I know, that’s what worries me the most about this. Have a feeling it will be resolved soon though (hoping it will at least).

I don’t know what more you could expect. As mentioned in the latest staff response, the problem is the magnitude of the issue – not the effort put into it. The problem isn’t going to get any easier to solve the more inconveniencing it gets. In the meantime, you have a perfectly fine workaround – take advantage of it.

1 Like

Kind of a late response, but I’ve been dealing with this ever since I got my iMac. I’ve found that if you resize your Studio window and make it smaller it will fix this issue. Then when you’re done typing your code and want to go back to building or whatever you can make your window larger again.

Interesting I will try this out (I also have an iMac).

p.s. I like your ironic name :laughing:

You can try these steps too

@TheGuyWithAShortName

2 Likes

Yes, I currently use the color profile method. Although it is quite inconvenient, you do what you’ve got to do. :confused:

Will buying Windows 10 fix this?

this isn’t just lagging script editor, it’s also lagging the entire studio.
i can’t run an empty baseplate without getting MASSIVE amounts of lag, and this has ever been since I upgraded to sierra.

Thank you all for patiently waiting.

Please rest assured, Roblox staff are actively looking into this issue and once we have more information someone will post here with all the details.

1 Like