Ladder Fly Problem

We’re making a steep steps like game and we ran into this problem, where player can infenetly climb the ladder and ladder is flying with him. (https://gyazo.com/fe8a28fbaa03b9cd15c825ec2a27c48f)
We’re wondering if its fixable by the script or is there something to do with the model?

1 Like

Could you show us the script you are using for this?

Its the ladder CFrame being updated on a loop depending on the character position? or that happens because the ladder get somehow stucked with the player’s parts?

Is the ladder anchored after placed?

Ladder is not anchored, it’s physical. It’s happening because it somehow gets stucked with the player’s parts

After placement, wouldnt be good idea to anchor it? or it should still on physics, like falling if its not correctly placed?

The game’s idea about physics interaction with ladders. We can’t anchor it

1 Like

First idea that comes to my mind is creating a custom character controller, that handles the “ladder climbing”… but if the game is based on the engine physics, would be changing lot of stuff related with that while climbing…

The script for what? With the script I’m just placing the ladder in the world. I’m wondering if this problem is fixable by editing default character movement module

Yes, I know it. I’m wondering if I can do something with the model to prevent this.

Is your character in R15?

Yes it is, also I noticed it’s not just fly. If a ladder / climbable object drops at you and you start the climbing proccess it can lead to very very unwanted behaviours, from flying to flinging

Try changing your character to R6 in game settings and test again.

But I want to keep the R15? I got my animations and cutscenes made all in R15

I know, you can change it back later, just set it to R6 for now and test. I just need to make sure it’s a problem with R15 vs R6.

I already tried that. It is still a problem in R6 but it seems to accure more rarely, than R15, but it is still possible with R6 rigs. Yes, It’s a problem R15 vs R6

I made a simple rbxl file with something that can reproduce this
SimpleGlitch.rbxl (38.4 KB)

https://gyazo.com/d886c0ad19688873a159e14dd7d9f61a Here’s a link on how you can reproduce it

Part flying has always existed with the default humanoid which is kinematics based not caring for the effects of physics it has on it.

The same with the box slide glitch where you can push the object you are standing on and Newtons second law does not apply because friction is low and the opposing force does not exist. As a result you can pretty much push yourself like troll physics

Example from whatever floats your boat (love this game)

I believe your case is like this the climbing force is caused by the ladder climbing

It is also present in build your boat:

Try using the new humanoid physics controller which instead of kinematics.

Otherwise consider your own character controller, also this video is good for the differences between the type of character controllers:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.