Large number of player disconnections (Error 277, 279)

Issue Type: Connectivity
Impact: Critical
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2021-02-15 00:02:00 (-08:00)
Date Last Experienced:

Reproduction Steps:
Link to game: generic roleplay gaem. - Roblox

Since 2/15/21 (2 days ago as of this post), players in my game have been reporting constant disconnections with the error code 277 (and sometimes 279). I haven’t found any pattern to the disconnections. The disconnections began seemingly randomly and I don’t believe it was caused by a recent update to my game. Some players are also reporting data loss along with their disconnections.

Average playtime has tanked by about 30%.

Play Time Graph

Expected Behavior:

1. Join the game
  2. Play
  3. Leave by choice, without disconnecting

Actual Behavior:

1. Join game
  2. Game crashes randomly

Workaround:

11 Likes

Update: It seems the entire server will disconnect after a random amount of time. The server still shows up in the server list and when you try to join, it gives you error 279. The server still shows all the previous players as still in the game, even though everyone has been disconnected.

Sounds similar to this report a while back:

3 Likes

If a staff member is reading this, I can send log files from when the server crashed (Error 277) and when trying to rejoin the crashed server from the server list. (279)

Only happens to me when using a VPN

This is often caused by exploiters abusing a flaw in your code or default Roblox code. Some examples of how they can crash your server can be spamming chat insanely fast with large or malformed text, firing your remotes to bring the server memory insanely high (a common occurrence of this is with getting a large amount of tools), etc. You should check for some of these things and make sure you add protections to your game as it’s essential to stop this from happening at this point.

im starting to get random disconnects and roblox is being very slow
also datastores in studio are sometimes failing

In response to a similar bug report, I did go through my game and make sure my remote connections had correct checks in place. What is strange to me is that this has been happening only started happening 2-3 days ago, when my last update was 1 full week ago. Servers are consistently being shut down by this problem and kicking all players after running for about an hour or two, with no increase in server memory or network requests.

Make sure to check script activity right before and usage as that will also affect server performance and cause it to crash. You don’t need an update to get exploiters to abuse an old vulnerability.

Hey - ill reach out to you via DM to get the logs from you, we have seen similar issue in the past however its not the same as you described so any info you have will be helpful

2 Likes

Thank you for reaching out, I’ve sent you a DM.

A player trying to join their friend on my game received two new error codes:

I believe the problem has been fixed, there was a large spike in server navigation memory and I released a hotfix that seems to mitigate the issue.

4 Likes

Thanks for the report! If the issue stopped occuring I will close the topic, feel free to create another one if you encounter this problem again(Or any other). Thanks again for the report.

1 Like