Launch a game from the desktop

Heya there.

I’m at the final leg of my college course, and one of the last assignments I’ve had to do is create a game.
I was told I could use any software I wished, so I’ve made my game in Roblox.

What I wasn’t told - was that the game has to have an executable file to launch it.

I have seen someone before create an exe file for roblox games, @Crazyman32 I think, but I’m not sure to be honest - it was a while ago.

Does anyone know how to create an .exe file to launch a Roblox game? - As if I was on the game’s page and pressed the Play button?

Thanks
-David

8 Likes

I think a while ago you could launch a specific Roblox game from a bat file, but recent security updates no longer allow you to do that outside of the site.

5 Likes

I wanted to do this to make a standalone client for my game, and the definitive answer is YES…as long as Roblox is already installed and the user has an account.

The short answer is use Process Hacker (i think that’s what it’s called, it’s some alternative of Task Manager) to see what arguments Roblox is launched with when it starts your game. You’ll have to make sure they have their own account and from there you can figure out how to mess with the other properties. I don’t have any additional information I can give you other than I’ve done it before with a lot of guessing and work.

In short though, it’s not very practical and it’s easier for them just to smash that play button.

5 Likes

My teachers say I “can’t” supply links (they’re fine with my game) in case Ofsted wants to verify that whether or not I actually created the game I’ve linked in my work.
Hence my predicament.

Anyhow I’ll figure it out, thanks again.

1 Like

Confused as to why Ofsted would check this, they’re not an exam board, they’re a Government department/agency.

Also, are you sure your exam board will allow you to use Lua? I know the exam board I am currently with only allow the following for A-level:

• C family
  • Python
  • Java
  • Visual Basic
  • PHP
  • Delphi

You’re better off asking your teacher to ensure it’s a suitable move, as it all depends on your exam board and task.

3 Likes

If you wanted to get into the technicalities of it, the engine itself is C++. I don’t know if that’s a green light though.

1 Like

You’re not writing in C++ and is not your code. They will grade what you have done.

4 Likes

This thread might be helpful. It involves creating a shortcut to RobloxPlayerBeta with a specific set of launch parameters:

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/launch-roblox-player-externally/5507/5

Given that guests are still enabled, you can join your game as a guest using this method:

(Make sure to update the version)

3 Likes

Yeah I used to have an app that did this. It was sloppy and experimental, and so I removed it from GitHub.

When I executed RobloxPlayerBeta.exe --help, I get the following prompt:
rbx

As you can see, the id argument is no longer there. Trying to execute it with the id argument results in an error. I don’t know how this can be achieved anymore. I’m sure there’s a way though.

1 Like

When finding the command line arguments on RobloxPlayerBeta.exe in task manager it uses --play, -a with a login/negotiate.ashx for authentication and -t with a ticket representing what I assume contains the place of destination.

When launching a game via the site though, RobloxPlayerLauncher is called first with a load of arguments.
RobloxPlayerLauncher.exe roblox-player:1+launchmode:play+gameinfo:0
where gameinfo is filled in with yet another ticket instead of 0.

2 Likes

honestly, you should be fine. I used roblox at gcse and got an a* for the practical side of things

The engine isn’t made by the OP it’s made by roblox.