Likes are misleading and bring harm

Likes also don’t contribute much when you actually use them correctly imo. So what if you like something you agree with? it doesn’t bump the thread it just gives a small grey number.

1 Like

@Nightgaladeld was looking into the pun issue. When one pun gets posted, ten more are guaranteed to follow, further derailing the thread, so there are more problems than mentioned :(

1 Like

Roblox is a pun place where we make games. I feel like puns add to the environment in a non-harming way. I’ve never seen a thread completely die because someone posted 10 puns in a row.

1 Like

1b6e08d194a4ba3407dd862c34d718c04305a57d.png

:eyes:

Right now if I see someone who has more likes than posts, I have no clue if that user is really helpful or if that user only posts puns in the hope that he/she gets likes for it in return.

When a thread starts to get derailed too far a leader will step in and try to get it back on track, that’s in their job description.

I’ve only seen leaders step in once or twice, which is actually pretty good for any forum. Usually threads here, like the “What have you been working on” one, tend to bring themselves back on topic after minor bursts of puns/digressions and I think that’s just fine.

6 Likes

“Too far” is subjective. What one person may think is reasonable may be considered unreasonable by everyone else. If there was a ten post chain discussing which dreams users had last night on What are You Working on Currently, I imagine most users would want that removed because nobody wants to hear what dreams people had. It’s the same story with puns – not everyone thinks puns are witty. What’s acceptable to you may be a “here we go again…” situation for others.

1 Like

Very true, and that how tolerant that subjectivity is has a lot to do with the overall feel of a forum. I honestly don’t know what the guidelines for our leaders are, but I rarely find myself too annoyed with the OT wanderings on these threads.

2 Likes

Usually, when someone flags something we try to get our entire team to give their two cents on the flag. This can range from people flagging off-topic posts, inappropriate posts, etc. This way, subjectivity isn’t a major issue as our whole team almost always works together to resolve things so we’re all of the same mindset. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

From what I understand there’s no guideline set in stone, but I know @Lilly_S has moved puns out of the threads they were in into the dedicated pun thread in the past.

That being said, I’m not sure why puns even need to be posted on threads where they’re off-topic and users may not want to see them. We have a dedicated thread where puns can be posted all day without bothering anyone.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for voicing your concerns. We have read the feedback provided and we have communicated this information to our team. From now on we are going to centralize all puns into one thread to avoid the derailing of important threads such as cool creations. Please feel free to privately message me if you have any questions or concerns regarding this topic. Please continue flagging posts and our team will review them.

All puns that turn into chains of puns or veer the thread off topic will be moved to this thread.
http://devforum.roblox.com/t/dedicated-pun-thread/24170

As for the badge we are currently having discussions to potentially remove it from the Developer Forum. Thank you for bringing this to our attention! :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you,
Developer Relations Team

5 Likes

I find myself using the Like system in the following circumstances:

• I find a post agreeable
  • I disagree with somebody but they provide very insightful arguments that give a good perspective of their opinion on the topic and want to convey my respect for their post without continuing the discussion
  • When someone calls me to a thread to perform moderation action (please use the Flag system to do this now)
  • When someone says exactly what I’m thinking about a topic before I get the chance to post my thoughts and I have nothing further to add

I find that the Like system is a good indicator of the culture of the developer forums, which is generally lighthearted and, at times, goofy - yet still professional. In my perspective, Likes are not meant to be a powerful tool that guides discussion, provide any kind of useful information, or even display agreement. They’re meant to be used for when you actually like a post and want to let the poster (and everyone else) know.

I find them very useful in argumentative situations as well, as they provide (me, at least) a way of conveying that I respect the other person’s opinions, because when I disagree with someone responding to me in a conversation yet Like their post it means that I took the time to read it, found their points intriguing, thought-provoking, or insightful and that I wish to convey this information.

Just my two cents!

16 Likes

The number of likes in this thread is ironic

8 Likes

So the outcome of this is now we have a pun thread, nice.

The pun thread has been around for a while, except it just hasn’t been used as intended (at all) recently.

I dont think liking is the problem, I think the badge is the problem

I don’t reall see badges as an important element in the devforum at all. I would have never known about that badge at all if you had not brough it to my attention. Although, I think a thumbs up, thumbs down system or one used in iMessage might be better so that notifications/feedback on your posts might be interpreted in a more accurate way.

:octopus:

We already had a thread like this, and we didn’t need another one. Likes are a fast, simple, and universally recognized system of agreeing with people or otherwise saying ‘great job’ or ‘thank you’. Upvote systems aren’t “intended to bring harm”, seriously, not unless a post saying ‘you’re stupid’ gets any Likes at all. It’s sociology: just because other people like another thing more than your thing doesn’t mean they dislike yours.

If you honestly want to argue about a misleading, harmful system, debate about Dislikes and other downvote symbols.

Can confirm that we don’t need another one of these threads. I was mistaken to post the original.

I appreciate your input, but you’re completely misunderstanding the purpose of this topic and the message I’m trying to convey; It isn’t the same as the one you linked. The topic you linked is about a hypothetical situation in which likes are disabled and what would change if they were, with a small shift towards how likes can be abused.

This topic is about how likes are used for way more things than - I assume - they were intended to be used, meaning they hold no value. People use likes in different situations for different purposes, meaning they do not represent anything and only bring confusion. What does it mean if you see on someone’s profile that he has gotten many likes? You can’t conclude anything from just the number itself, so it might as well not be there in the first place.

I’m not implying the direct message of the topics, I’m focusing on the fact that both of them have accused Likes as a variation of bullying, and in this case as a hinderance to a productive forum. Again, Likes are used for showing agreement, appreciation, or admiration for a comment, in no situation is it implied that Likes are intentionally given to one post in order to harm another. They’re not harmful to the system because they are the system; and they can’t be misleading because any given post has enough context as to why it’s liked. Just as you said, it’s a simple way to back up someone’s response without writing another reply - would you rather see everyone who Likes a post write a comment saying the same thing since they would have no other way to show it?

It’s most important to remember that the devforum isn’t just for formal discussion about game development, people throw jokes around inside and outside the Lounge category - most for the sake of attention. We have a Cool Creations category just so developers can be commended by other developers. Of course people are going to Like things they, well, like. If someone posts a lame joke or a hundred showcases but they earn a lot of Likes, I’d say they earned it. I can agree that people do get attention for immature posts and for showing off things they didn’t even make, frankly I always joke that some developers forget the difference between the devforum and Twitter, but arguing against Likes doesn’t solve that problem.

Most importantly, Likes don’t mean anything anymore to people who already receive so many, but not exactly for people who don’t get as much. I don’t know how many Likes you usually get (though seeing as this post has already earned you ten), but unpopular people like me appreciate the Likes we get because we often feel under-appreciated or ignored so they indeed do more good than harm in any circumstance.

The interpretation that community upvotes are hurtful or anti-productive is pure subjectivity. Likes are supposed to be a good, happy thing, and I hope we keep it this way.