Link to my own website against TOS?

So, I was working on a game based around user generated content, I got surprisingly far into development until I realized InsertService:LoadAsset() only works with stuff you own, so i planned on making a website to use as an external database that also allowed uploading rbxm files. even if that worked, would it even be allowed?

1 Like

Nope.

But technically while you’re “not allowed” to use unpermitted links through permitted links, I don’t think anyone’s going to stop you if it’s in a YouTube or Twitter post along with a video explaining the method.

The only thing is they’d be much more likely if you stated in-game “Go to the link in the description of this video: -link-”

3 Likes

Yes, it would be in violation of the TOS. Directing users to unauthorized offsite websites is pretty clearly outlined in the Community Standards (formerly Community Rules).

Furthermore, I’m afraid Roblox has clamped down on developers’ ability to integrate UGC such as uploaded models due to exploits and inappropriate content.

1 Like

Thanks, i’m too far into development of this game so i think i will try that

You shouldn’t do that, sidestepping the rules is still in violation of them. No matter how far you are into development, I see many areas of this that are against Roblox’s rules including encouraging users to go to an external site and uploading site-unmoderated UGC. I highly recommend not pursuing this.

1 Like

he aint directing them to his website, hes using a website for scripts datastore.

He intends to direct players to his website through a Roblox-approved site like YouTube or Twitter, which does not circumvent external site rules so much as add an extra step to reaching an unapproved site.

And I will reiterate more importantly that UGC in this format is not allowed due to malicious and inappropriate content. It doesn’t matter whether or not it’s properly moderated by the developer(s) or not, it is not an authorized way to use the platform. It’s the main reason why Roblox has since killed toolbox-inserting services.

1 Like

please elaborate how you got these details

I don’t know what I said that needs elaboration, and I have already twice over explained why this game should not be pursued regardless of how much work has been put into it already.

EDIT: see this topic. This is the only thing I’ve ever seen in terms of an announcement concerning insert limitations.

“Allowing the client to insert arbitrary assets is a huge security risk that is really not worth the convenience.”

Regarding the insert service becoming developer-toolbox-only, I don’t have any [other] official sources besides this section of the Insert Tool on the fan-run Roblox Wikia. The OP has already stated that he has come across this as a roadblock to his game, but this reinforces the fact that Roblox does not want developers allowing players to load potentially malicious content into their games for their own safety.

Sending players to an external site to upload their content completely unmoderated by Roblox would only make this scenario worse.

ok, i guess i will just add some way to make those things in game.

1 Like