Location Marker System

Ah, this is something I hadn’t considered! I’m honestly not sure if I programmed everything such that it can work with stuff being streamed in and out.

Assuming the code works though, the indicators would just need to be created on the client. I can program something specifically for this case.

@LuckyLion1378

Note: This is only for StreamingEnabled, which loads and unloads things that are far away (which includes all the indicators this system uses).

Okay! I finished the code for this. Basically how it works:

• Takes all indicators in and added to Workspace
  • Gives them an ID and sends their data through a RemoteEvent to the client
  • The client takes that data and creates a new Indicator on the client
  • The server also sends RemoteEvents to update Color, Team, Image, and Enabled (when the server changes those properties). NOTE: Position is not replicated with this new system.
  • The indicators being destroyed on the server is also replicated through a RemoteEvent.

How to use:

Use cases:

• Only for streaming enabled
  • Doesn’t work for things that move (at least movement isn’t replicated). I programmed it mainly for static Indicators that don’t change much.

Note: Changing indicators through LocalScripts doesn’t work because the indicators aren’t in the same place on the client. They are all under a single client-only part in Workspace. (Changes on the server ones replicate to the client ones though).

Let me know if this gives you any problems :+1:

2 Likes

does this streamingenabled one have fading out?

1 Like

nevermind, it works like a charm! thanks a million

1 Like

Thank you for this great resource.

Any plans to add the the ability of changing indicators through LocalScripts?

I would really like to use this system for things like a tutorial or quest system where indicators are turned on/off just for a specific player. I feel like changing the player group for every specific quest or tutorial is perhaps not optimal.

1 Like

To change an indicator from a LocalScript:

• Find/wait-for the indicator Attachment
  • Change it’s attributes (Color, Image, Enabled, Team)

For your case, I’d recommend either:

• Having pre-made indicators on the server with Enabled false then changing Enabled to true on the client when you need them.

or

• Creating the indicators on the client when you need them and removing them when you don’t

Something to note about creating indicators, you need to name them “Indicator” before adding them to workspace for the connections to be created (it’s best practice anyways).

Let me know if you have any questions :+1:

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.
I’m using the Manual Indicator Replicator for streaming enabled, sorry for being unclear.

I also read Changing indicators through LocalScripts doesn’t work because the indicators aren’t in the same place on the client.

So I guess my only option to change via localscript is to turn streaming enabled off?

1 Like

Yeah, that system creates new indicators to represent the server sided ones and updates them when the server asks through remote events.

In that case you could use the second option, creating the indictors entirely on the client.

So, for example:

• Quest starts on server
  • Replicate than info to the client (remote events, properties, etc.)
  • Create a new indicator with the attributes (on the client)
  • Remove the new indicator when the quest ends (on the client)
1 Like

How can i make it only visible when looking at it and when you look away it doesn’t show the arrow around the screen?

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I needed.