Looking for feedback on my maps

Ok so let me start off with, I’m a horrible builder and this is my first time not using free models at all. Sometimes I’ll make a build but include some kind of free model, but this is the first time I made it myself 100%.

I’m not really looking for feedback related to making it more realistic, as they’re just maps for a round based game

Forest

If you’re wondering what the dark blue particles are, it’s just rain, I put an invisible part at the top with a particle emitter that emits rain. I feel like I could put more into it.

Snow

The white particles are just snow, and I added frost the trees to make it look more realistic.

Desert

I definitely feel like there could be more to it. It’s just so plain. It’s just a bunch of cacti in random places, I was thinking of adding particles so it looks like a sandstorm going on, let me know what you think.

5 Likes

For more realism, you could add disparities between different objects in your game. Like the trees could be rotated around, randomly distanced apart, and have different shapes and designs. The cacti could also benefit from the same thing as well as different sizing. Consider adding some shrubbery and rocks to change things up. You may also want to add some hills to make it seem less flat. Other than that, I think they look pretty good.

1 Like

It looks good and basic as a start but yes it would be good to know what these maps are for so we can give tips on what to fix

Land is never flat. The first thing you should be using is making elevated plains on the ground. The cactus and trees should be at different angles, and you should add other things like grass and rocks to make it more interesting (similar advice to @Qxest )

Other things I recommend would be changes to the skybox and perhaps adding animals. You should also use more colours and more materials. The first picture looks particularly bland in colour.

2 Likes

At the moment all of the maps look very basic with not much going on in them. They need to have a little bit of flair to them.

Desert
In this map you should consider adding a pyramid as this will give this map a little more flair. You should also consider making the cacti all look slightly different from each other as no two cacti are the same in real life. You could also add a couple of palm trees.

Snow
This is a good start for this map but it needs some work. In the bottom left corner there is a clump of trees that look exactly the same so you should consider spreading them among the other trees a little bit.

Have you considered adding a couple of snowmen to this map yet? This will give this map a little bit more flair and more to look at than just trees.

Lastly have you considered adding some ice around the map as adding ice will make this cold/snowy feel really come out.

Forest
I can’t really think of much to add to this map but making it bigger. At the moment there isn’t enough content for me to make a meaningful response for improvements for this map.

The maps you have done, look really good however there is some more details to add on each on your map as they look a little basic. Here is few things to improve it.

Forest
The forest you have made looks quite nice. However forest maps has a lot of more details on it as by looking at your map you have only trees, i would recommend you add some rocks, flowers, broken branches, logs, large trees, ect. And you could add different leaves to your trees you could use Blender meshes! or search for topics on the devforum to make quality trees. Also add some branches to the trees and add different styles to them!!

Snow
In the snow map i would also add some branches to your trees and if your going for a snow map. Add a “Snowman” to your map so it would not look plain. Also as waterrunner said in the left corner and the middle there is a lot of trees in those parts! i would recommend you spread them out, and. Add some bushes, rocks, houses, mountains, others to that map.

Desert
In the desert map. Make the cactus more bigger and add different styles to them instead of having the same ones, i would also recommend you add some mountains, rocks, trees, flowers, and some bones on the map and a tumbleweed! that would look good on the desert map…

However you have really done a great job, on your maps try adding different. Details to each of them to improve them a lot more keep up the good work.

2 Likes

I actually made snowmen but I lost them, because the game file didn’t save so this is just a rebuild.

Where would be a good area to have it?

The map floor sizes are all going to be the same so I won’t do
this.

Here you go, here are my feedbacks on these maps.

Feedback on all maps

• You can try to make a better terrain instead of making it flat.
  • You can make a variety of trees.
  • You can make hills to prevent people from falling down. You could do invisible walls but it’d be odd.

Feedback on forest

• You can make a river
  • You can place rocks
  • You can make grass

Feedback on snow

• You can change the particles
  • You can make the trees like the ones in the forest. I can assure you that it’d look nicer.

Feedback on desert

• You can change the size of each cactus so they are not the same
  • You can make an oasis

Good stuff! I personally think that rotating and sizing the cacti and tree models could go a long way, just to make it seem more natural. Also, having 2-3 different models and have those randomly spread across the map would make it look a lot better.

The maps look good, but they can use some work, I would fill in the space with some rocks, or add some more textures, and bumps in the ground. Also like previously stated you can rotate some trees and cactus’s around. Other than that it looks good. Good Luck!

My Suggestions:

First off, don’t call your self a horrible builder. Be positive, go with “In progress builder” :slight_smile:

I think every builder has been where you are now. Starting off with free models. And I know that it can be hard to seperate from them because they are so tempting to use sometimes. That’s why its really cool you are trying.

1. Make the ground terrain more abstract
Your problem here is obvious. Your just using one brick. Learn how to add height and depth to your terrain, a unique surface.

2. Add more on the surface then just trees
Add rocks and grass using plugins like model brush. Add more then just one type of tree, make multiple different trees.

3. Keep everything abstract
Place trees and rocks and grass in random patterns.

4. Take inspiration
Go look at other peoples works and try to recreate it. Also follow along build tutorials to improve.

Good luck!

1 Like

This is a bit too early in development to make a post and ask for feedback, as theres not a whole lot of substance to what you want critiqued. This is currently just trees/ cacti on a small plot and would take minutes to create.

When you make a post asking for critique, provide also what you’re trying to achieve while having something to your progress. You don’t want realism is all that I got from what you want for replies.

Realism is all about imperfections and asymmetry. Go nuts with decoration and little details.