Looking Forward in 2020: This Year's Developer Roadmap

I’m very excited for the Creator Hub. What kind of creations will be shared there? Will I be able to share my animations there and turn it into an easier way for people to find and hire me on their teams? It does mention forming teams to make better games.

1 Like

I can use it in Studio but there is no debugging, your reply is a great example. You have to use a surface GUI to debug.

I am extremely exited for what’s to come this year.
looks directly at future is bright V3

1 Like

Could someone explain what this is:

5 Likes

I can’t wait for pbr textures to come out on roblox studio

1 Like

I think it’s so you can store player made stuff. Like if a player creates a house or an obstacle course.

They had a thing in the past where you could save whole place states. They are probably trying to bring this back but differently.

Wow, the road map this year is full of all the great stuff that will extend Roblox and it’s possibilities to developers. This will improve Roblox, i cant wait !

1 Like

Epic updates, everything is going to be so much better!

Oh really! That sounds cool!

Thanks

1 Like

I am hoping that pbr materials come soon to roblox studio

Now, just make an Animating Dancing Fire-Hydrant :smiley:

1 Like

Whoa! I got so excited reading this roadmap! It’s the very first time I’m excited for an update, and that’s probably a good sign.

As great as this would be, the VR market is still way too small for Roblox to really justify at this point. It would be even smaller for the Roblox platform. Roblox’s physics based engine is great for VR, but everything on the roadmap is much more important for the platform. When Roblox’s age audience grows, you might have some leverage there.

Thank you very much for the roadmap! I will truly love it.

What do you mean?
Roblox doesn’t support audience retention very well since they cut things like forums and haven’t upgraded things like groups. I think Roblox’s business plan is to perpetually cater to the 4-12 year old demographics until enough stop playing at once

Thats not their plan. Their plan is to cater to older users. All the graphical features on the roadmap is a step to this. There’s more to follow.

2 Likes

I don’t think graphical features alone will raise retention

What is there on roblox to realistically keep players playing past 12 years old? Discord groups? Making games? (as though that barrier to entry isn’t steep enough)

3 Likes

I said there’s more to follow didn’t I?
I’m saying Roblox is paving the way to more easily allow developers to develop games that appeal to an older audience. Part of this is realistic graphics. But there’s more to come than that.

I’m just trying to tell you what they are doing and what their intentions are. Not trying to debate if they’ll be successful.

3 Likes

It’d be nice to know what this is, cause you can’t do such a thing through features and graphical improvements alone

Any hints of any of these features would be really good to hear:

• Enhanced group features, like group specific forums
  • More broadly accessible forums in general (maybe a group hub)
    and not dev forums either. Something that has distinct “roblox culture”
  • Removing restrictions on chat (##### ## ######) based on player age/ opting out
  • Catered games pages to different audiences
  • Easing access on getting into developing; barriers to entry seems to be that ALL players are concentrated on front page games, ads no longer grant enough exposure to get ball rolling. Plenty entry level “toys” like free models to rip/ edit scripts from are kind of hidden compared to when most devs started
  • Voice chat
6 Likes