Made some Semi Realistic Mountains for my new game, Feedback would be appreciated!

Looks pretty good! One thing that I would change is the rocks (the plain parts of the mountain) colour. It kind of looks plain. Other then that its very good!

4 Likes

This Is Amazing!!! This Looks Beautiful Keep Up The Work!

5 Likes

Nice picture! I would probably add some dead or alive trees and/or bushes because the mountain does look a little plain. If this mountain was burned, then I would add dead bushes/trees, if not, why not have the fuel there to burn? Keep up the good work!

4 Likes

Just a question - in your gameplay, do you NEED to explore/walk on the mountains? If you don’t, simple turn it into a skybox (you don’t need to worry about lag/fps, and you still get the great visual effect). Streaming Enabled will also help with lag, but it may reduce the looks of the game. Just my two cents, looks amazing, continue building!

4 Likes

You make a good point, but sadly they are a gameplay element of the game, Thank you for telling me about the streaming enabled feature i was unaware that was a thing!

3 Likes

It’s beautiful! What are you planning on doing with it?

3 Likes

Thanks!, Not too sure yet, This was mostly a test. And me more or less practicing different techniques for environment design, but I plan for them to used in a game with flying steampunk ships, Hence the detail for when they are up in the air.

1 Like

why am i getting pinged from this?

2 Likes

Streaming enabled basically helps with large terrain maps, by loading/unloading parts that are beyond a specified distance. It won’t be helpful if you need to see the mountains from super far away, but will work up close. Mountain climbing games (like climb everest, other games), use it, and put fog in, so you can’t see the un-loaded parts.

These articles may help:

Or just google it :wink:

Something else you could do to reduce lag is try to hollow out any unneeded/not seen terrain. Basically, hollow out the mountain, so there is less for the game to have to load in. Put up a fog (inside lighting, FogEnd) to around 300, this will make it so users can’t see past 300 studs. This will help their client not be forced to load in the entire map when they look around, just the range that they can see.
These are just tips, hoped they helped!

4 Likes

No idea, Could be you have notifications set to this post, its a bell at the bottom of your page.

1 Like

Keep up the work man! That’s so cool! :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you! This will massively help me!

2 Likes

Great work, but it would be laggy for some people.

2 Likes

Why am i getting pinged o-o someone help

1 Like

I mean yeah that’s indeed possible but overall its so good.

2 Likes

Looks good however instead of putting all the foilage on the ground why not put it on the mountain as it is in real life tree grows on a mountain until a certain poit.

2 Likes

Yeah this was something I did test before hand, But each trees around 15,000 triangles, so when placing over 19,000 trees on the mountain it would just kill my pc rip…

I settled for light foliage which is there but I agree, I could also optimise this alot better next time.

Thank you for your feedback!

1 Like

Is the mountain voxel terrain or a mesh? It looks amazing nevertheless.

2 Likes

Thank you! Its a mix of both, the base is voxel terrain, the rocks and foliage are meshs :smiley:

2 Likes

Oh no…don’t tell me—y–y–you used the FPS to destroy the FPS? :cold_face:

1 Like