Major lag spikes? (DDoS?)

First look at this.

So my game seems to be having issues with Data Spikes. Our game is fairly optimized, but whenever a player joins, it seems to have lag spikes. It also has lag spikes at other random times, freezing the server for a half a second, which is quite annoying.

I added a script that limits players to sending 2 MBs max, or they get kicked.

But, the problem still seems to be occuring. The server averages between 20-80 throughout the week.

Any thoughts? The Dev API fails to mention anything about the ServerStats when talking about the Dev API so I have 0 clue what is going on. Anywho, thanks for your help and ideas if you do respond.

3 Likes

Using the developer console, you can look at the activity of all the scripts in order by the amount of data they use. Maybe a faulty script is the culprit of your issue.

1 Like

I looked at that also. The only thing was CarbonEngine. Which had the rate of 300, which is normal, and isn’t bad. So I have 0 clue what’s going on. I presumed it was DDoSing due to the fact that it was at random, and that it was pretty consistent.

I’ve noticed this too and tested it on a local server in studio on an empty base plate. Alot of data gets sent when a player joins the server.

I’ll be testing this on a large map with no scripts just to confirm.

This has been happening recently since Friday.

1 Like