Making a combat game with ranged weapons? FastCast may be the module for you!

Have you figured this out by now? Much appreciated if you have and could share.

I think i just suck, though I could not understand this. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :yawning_face: :yawning_face: :yawning_face: :triumph: :triumph: :triumph:

It doesn’t seem to be possible :frowning:

How do you handle replication?

Is there a way to combat bad hitreg with moving npcs. some of the projectiles just go straight through the npc on the client

Do I must make a new caster (server script) for each gun the players have? (for example, 10 players - 10 server scripts)

Or can I have one server script handling all players’ shootings? (10 players - 1 server script but 10 local scripts)

how would I go about using this for a model rather than a part?

1 server script. Just use remote events and have that 1 script do the casting and damaging.

1 Like

I have a quick question. How can I change my projectiles’ colors on 1 caster instead of having individual casters have different colors because it causes lag. I have tried changing it from the projectile container and then tried taking it out, changing the color, and putting it back it but also didnt work some how. Is there a sort of way to change the custonprojectiles’ color with only 1 caster? Or is there no way?

Hey, did you ever get around latency compensation? I was just about to program this but took a look at DevForum just to make sure it wasn’t done already…

Seems like you just need some API surfaces to accelerate the simulation to any point in time.

Probably need API surfaces along the lines of:

• ActiveCast:PredictHit(): Vector3? - Fast forward all the way to the end of trajectories so server can see what the predicted hit location is ahead of time
  • ActiveCast:GetPositionAtTime(time: number): Vector3? - Get position at t seconds after cast start time
  • ActiveCast:GetPositionAtTick(tick: number): Vector3? [Bonus] - Get position at a unix timestamp

Is there a GitHub repo where I can submit a pull request if I end up writing this into the library for my own project?

2 Likes

This module is still incredibly useful, though it’s a shame that it’s no longer being developed. I wish someone would extend it to work with parallel lua as I imagine it would improve performance a bit.

Will this work with hitscan guns or just projectile?

this is meant to be a way to simulate projectile physics, if u only need hitscan u should not use this module

I know it’s kinda long time ago, But does it work woth big projectiles?

If I want the projectile to not be laggy (I don’t want the server to handle it, yet I want every player to see it) / be accurate in terms of hit detection what should I do?

well, fastcast is intended for server sided detection and simulation and not client sided replication of the simulation but you can do your visuals on the client and do the hit detection on the server too, but this will create issues with synchronization.

You should be fine using fastcast on the server for the most part but if u need to use it on the client what I would do is get the time it took from shooter client to the server based on which get current position relative to time and speed and either start hit detection from there or instead u could multiply the time with the velocity of the projectile. You can do whatever u did from client to sever for server to other clients;

Either approach works and has its own limitations.

Hello, I want to find the latest FastCast: Redux module but I can’t find any link to get it, and the only link I can find is https://create.roblox.com/marketplace/asset/4453855787/FastCast-Redux%3Fkeyword=&pageNumber=&pagePosition= but it is not updated to the latest version

This will definitely help a new developer like me!

How can I use part cache with this?