Making a softbody sphere?

Hey, I’m working on a project right now, but for it I need a soft body sphere, I know this may seem like a dumb question, because it would be very geometrically difficult to develop a sphere that would sustain itself, but is it possible? How can I make a realistic jello like softbody sphere? Would it be possible to make a script for it?

Does it need to physically interact like a soft body or is this just for visual effect?

It must physically interact, yes.

You could use spring formulas for it.

Can you please elaborate? This is very broad.

I think @klui36 refers to something like this which allows you to simulate springs.

Sounds hard to me since you’d have to implement collisions still.

I would maybe do something like this:

• Create a sphere part at the minimum size your ball can be allowed to squish
  • All around this core part, place small spheres a few studs above the surface
  • Connect each of the small spheres to the center core sphere using a Pristmatic and Spring constraint
  • Tweak the constrains until it’s as bouncy as you want
  • Render something to fill the space between the small spheres—I would maybe make a ball-shaped mesh and connect its bones to the small parts or something?

This way relies heavily on Roblox’s built in physics, which is maybe a good or a bad thing

1 Like

It’s probably a good thing. I want this game to be physicsyyy. Don’t want to ask too many questions, but could you explain the “Bone” instance?

I personally don’t have a ton of experience but the term to Google is “skinned meshes”

I imagine it would be something like this

• create an iso sphere in blender
  • add as many bones in blender as you have collision spheres on the roblox side
  • connect bones to mesh vertices
  • import mesh to roblox with bones as meshpart or something
  • every Stepped or RenderStep, update the position of the meshpart and its bones to line up visually with the underlying physical parts/attachments
1 Like