Making a texture follow camera movements

Hey developers!

How would I go about making a texture that would follow player acmera movements. I am trying to make some skins for my Rocket Launcher game a d got stuck on actually making the texture. An idea that I had in mind was

1.Making a skybox out of parts
2.Putting the skybox into a mew vieeport frame
3.Use a SurfaceGui and script the camera in the viewport frame to mimic the players camera.

My main problem is wondering if anybody else has done it or any other ideas to how to script it.

Any questions and answers are free to be told.

5 Likes

If I understand you correctly, you want something dynamic that is like those valorant skins.
You would use a Viewport Frame and set it at a fixed scale, and then modify the camera inside the ViewportFrame. I’m unsure how well it will wrap around a custom mesh that is not block like though.
I remember seeing a post about creating portals in the past, so I’ll search for that in the meantime and respond again if I find it. For now, this video might help.
How were the portals in Portal created? | Bitwise - YouTube

Edit: I found it.

4 Likes

What visual are you trying to do here? You say you are making skins for a rocket launcher game, but what do you want them to do?

Do you want a set of crosshairs in the center of the screen?
Do you want crosshairs that change size depending on what you’re point at?
Do you want a Texture that appears on Parts in the game when the camera is pointing at them?

3 Likes

My mostly trying to go for valorant skins like the nebula bundle, if you know what it is, as I got the idea from that game. Ill mark a solution if it does work it well. I pretty sure that it would work around the rocket launcher mesh but still unsure.

2 Likes

Im trying to go for a green screen type of skins for my rocket launchers. I have made some dkins but wanted to expand more. This is one of the bundkes/skin that has these types of skins. Ace with new Nebula Phantom - Valorant - YouTube
Mostly trying to go for a portal type of thing where you can see a place through a part.

2 Likes

Ok, I have a new problem now.

The surfaceGui works fine, its just the mesh thats kinda messing it up. It wont blend with the acutall model. Do you have any suggestions?

1 Like

Unforunately, as previously stated, I don’t think Roblox has support for wrapping SurfaceGUIs around mesh parts.
The best alternative is to make the model blocky where you want it, but thats not realistically possible if you want more detail on the weapons. I think having a small part where this can be implemented would still be cool for players to see, as its not something that I think has been seen on the platform in regards to weapon skins.

2 Likes

Just a couple of ideas:
What if you did a kind of hybrid by making something like a solid white Smooth Plastic gun with reflectance set to 1 and weld a slightly larger Mesh gun to that with Material ForceField or Glass then change the Transparency to something that tints the gun the colours you want it.

You may also be able to put a solid Texture on the larger version of the gun (at Transparency 1) and make it semi-transparent too.

2 Likes

I guess it kinda worked? Idk how I feel about it. I just used a texture of a night sky and put it on the rocket launcher.

Test Rocket (your idea) :

Galaxy Rocket :

1 Like