Making an All-Seeing Glass (Lens of Truth)

I want to have invisible objects that can be seen with a special seeing glass. The concept is similar to Legend of Zelda’s Lens of Truth. Right now I have been able to achieve this visually using a rendering side-effect of transparent glass in front of barely transparent bricks (must exceed 0.01 apparently) as seen in the picture. Basically what you’re seeing here is a hidden puzzle hint that lies beneath a 0.010001 transparency part (wooden planks). This ONLY works with glass material for some reason.

If you look at the wooden planks from a distance, you wouldn’t know anything is behind it, but if you get close enough, you can tell there is shading through the planks induced by two faces forming a corner. I have not figured out how to hide this effect even after tinkering with the CastShadow property of the parts and most of the properties in Lighting.

I tried hiding a hole in a wall, but you can clearly see it is there without a lens.

Has something like this already been done in a similar manner or via scripting? I was considering writing a script, but I’m concerned its wildly advanced and / or inefficient.

If you’re asking someone to write an entire script, go to talent.roblox.com But if you need help with your scripts or anything else, then ask here.

I’m not asking for a script, but I am asking for an assessment of this problem and a general description of a potential scripted approach (if any exists).

2 Likes

viewports would 100% work but im not sure how laggy or intense it’d be on the client to render things like that

2 Likes

If I remember correctly surface GUIs cannot render through glass. Could be wrong on this though.

Edit: seems like this still exists. Hopefully it helps! New material "Glass" hiding SurfaceGui?

1 Like

You cannot change the occlusion mode. You must use an older version of Roblox to do this.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.