Making the players walk animations change relative to their movement

I’m trying to change the players walking animations relative to the players’ movement. Here is this drawing for a visual demonstration of the players’ movement"

Now let’s say the player is moving “Forwards”, then it would play the default walking animation, aka animation 1.
In this scenario, all is fine since all characters already do this.
The thing is walking, Backwards, Left, or Right, will all play animation 1, just like walking forwards.

What I’m trying to do is make a script that will change the players’ walking animation based on the direction it is walking relative to what way the HumanoidRootPart is facing. The problem is I don’t know where to start or how I would make this a reality, at my current position in scripting.
:
Do note that I’m using a MeshRig/BoneRig, thus the reason I’m not using any normal or more standard way of doing this, like rotating the Hips Motor6D, or something of the sort.

Picture of my Rig just for any reasons needed,image

10 Likes

After hours, of research and scripting, I have come up with this piece of script. And I have come to my senses and decided to share it, I’m now posting this script so no one else has to go through what I did, Enjoy it!

Setup with all commands ready to go, and ready for change if needed.

local Character = script.Parent.Parent
local Humanoid = Character:WaitForChild("Humanoid")
local HumanoidRoot = Character:WaitForChild("HumanoidRootPart")
-----AnimationHandler
local Animate = script.Parent
local RelativeWalk = script:WaitForChild("RelativeWalk")
---Animations' Names
local WalkF = RelativeWalk.WalkAnimFront
local WalkB = RelativeWalk.WalkAnimBack
local WalkR = RelativeWalk.WalkAnimRight
local WalkL = RelativeWalk.WalkAnimLeft
----MainWalk^^^
local MainWalk = Animate.run.RunAnim
-----Varibles
local RunSer = game:GetService("RunService")
--(*)
local CurrentAnim = nil 

-----Functions^^}

function ToWalkRelativeToHRP(Humanoid, Direction, RootCompare)

-----Check if player is moving
	if Direction ~= nil then
		----X-x-x Continue

local RootFacing = RootCompare.CFrame.LookVector
		local RootRight = RootCompare.CFrame.RightVector

local DirectionRelativeToRootFront = RootFacing:Dot(Direction, RootFacing)
		local DirectionRelativeToRootSides = RootRight:Dot(Direction, RootRight)
		----

local Output = nil

if DirectionRelativeToRootFront <= 1 and DirectionRelativeToRootFront >= 0.75 then
			Output = "Forwards"
		elseif DirectionRelativeToRootFront >= -1 and DirectionRelativeToRootFront <= -0.75 then
			Output = "Backwards"
		elseif DirectionRelativeToRootSides <= 1 and DirectionRelativeToRootSides >= 0.75 then
			Output = "Right"
		elseif DirectionRelativeToRootSides >= -1 and DirectionRelativeToRootSides <= -0.75 then
			Output = "Left"

end

return Output
	end

end

----------Below heres is not needed but just shows the ways you could use it!
RunSer.RenderStepped:Connect(function()
	local ForceVector = ToWalkRelativeToHRP(Humanoid, Humanoid.MoveDirection, HumanoidRoot)
	print(ForceVector)

if ForceVector == "Forwards" then
		MainWalk.AnimationId = WalkF.AnimationId
	elseif ForceVector == "Backwards" then
		MainWalk.AnimationId = WalkB.AnimationId
	elseif ForceVector == "Right" then
		MainWalk.AnimationId = WalkR.AnimationId
	elseif ForceVector == "Left" then
		MainWalk.AnimationId = WalkL.AnimationId

end

end)

Note… this is just a short version of my script I am still making and will be improved in the future. You can try improving it if you want:

The command Print(Output) connects to the function called “ToWalkRelativeToHPR”
and will give the direction of the players in 4 forms, this can be changed to 8, but I’m still working on that.
Anyways just use Output and it will give you these inputs "Forwards", "Backwards", "Right", "Left".

Anyways that is all, I love helping the community of Roblox Devs, hope this helps

40 Likes

Sorry for asking but i dont understand were the animations are supposed to go

In a folder called “RelativeWalk”

1 Like

This was extremely helpful thank you.

I used this to make a dash for my game.

local Direction = nil
		local HumanoidRoot = Character:WaitForChild("HumanoidRootPart")

local RootFacing = HumanoidRoot.CFrame.LookVector
		local RootRight = HumanoidRoot.CFrame.RightVector

local DirectionRelativeToRootFront = RootFacing:Dot(Humanoid.MoveDirection, RootFacing)
		local DirectionRelativeToRootSides = RootRight:Dot(Humanoid.MoveDirection, RootRight)

if DirectionRelativeToRootFront <= 1 and DirectionRelativeToRootFront >= 0.75 then
			Direction = "Forwards"
		elseif DirectionRelativeToRootFront >= -1 and DirectionRelativeToRootFront <= -0.75 then
			Direction = "Backwards"
		elseif DirectionRelativeToRootSides <= 1 and DirectionRelativeToRootSides >= 0.75 then
			Direction = "Right"
		elseif DirectionRelativeToRootSides >= -1 and DirectionRelativeToRootSides <= -0.75 then
			Direction = "Left"
		elseif (DirectionRelativeToRootFront > 0.5 and DirectionRelativeToRootFront < 0.75) 
			and (DirectionRelativeToRootSides > 0.5 and DirectionRelativeToRootSides < 0.75) then
			Direction = "ForwardRight"
		elseif (DirectionRelativeToRootFront > 0.5 and DirectionRelativeToRootFront < 0.75) 
			and (DirectionRelativeToRootSides > -0.75 and DirectionRelativeToRootSides < -0.5) then
			Direction = "ForwardLeft"
		elseif (DirectionRelativeToRootFront > -0.75 and DirectionRelativeToRootFront < -0.5) 
			and (DirectionRelativeToRootSides > -0.75 and DirectionRelativeToRootSides < -0.5) then
			Direction = "BackwardLeft"
		elseif (DirectionRelativeToRootFront > -0.75 and DirectionRelativeToRootFront < -0.5) 
			and (DirectionRelativeToRootSides > 0.5 and DirectionRelativeToRootSides < 0.75) then
			Direction = "BackwardRight"
		end

print(Direction)

slide.Velocity = Humanoid.MoveDirection * Pwr

if Direction == "Forwards" or Direction == "ForwardLeft" or Direction == "ForwardRight" then
			slideAnim.AnimationId = "rbxassetid://16850743492"
		elseif Direction == "Backwards" or Direction == "BackwardLeft" or Direction == "BackwardRight" then
			slideAnim.AnimationId = "rbxassetid://16850816571"
		elseif Direction == "Right" then
			slideAnim.AnimationId = "rbxassetid://16850895981"
		elseif Direction == "Left" then
			slideAnim.AnimationId = "rbxassetid://16850899598"
		end
		```
i also added the other diagonals if anyone finds it useful
1 Like