Material Service Beta Updated with Per Part Custom Materials + More

So after making a nice purchase of an 8gb file worth of textures is there a way I can easily upload them without having to do every single one by hand?

2 Likes

Hello, I’m wondering if there are any chances of getting the world displacement map on the MaterialVariant for Terrain

2 Likes

Using local assets is always a bad idea:

1. They have different file extensions on different platforms. You might not have noticed that asset id doesn’t work on mobile.
  2. There is no guarantee those assets will be there. It’s very likely we’ll change/remove them.
  3. We need to preprocess images for materials. Those local assets have been preprocessed, they have different format than the expected input.
    Water has its own unique physical properties. It’s not in the scope of this project.
7 Likes

THIS IS AMAZING! Thank you so much for this beta, this is gonna be great for builds!

2 Likes

This is wonderful, I am curious though, does this mean we are getting closer to being able to ‘tint’ other things, such as the SurfaceAppearance?

2 Likes

This is awesome and greatly expands the usability of PBR materials - I’ll finally be fully utilizing them in my games!

My main request is Emission Maps which would make MaterialsService & SurfaceAppearance usable for parts which need an emission effect (instead of having to use Neon material + Texture object or other weird tricks). As mentioned by many others, a slider for Metalness/Roughness without having to use maps would also be great. Other than that it’s pretty much perfect as far as I’m concerned!

Before vs After Comparison

I quickly replaced the Road (Concrete), Sidewalk (also Concrete), and Grass materials in one of my games with free PBR materials to see the difference - absolutely love the way it looks, even by just applying random materials without fine tuning!

Before:

After:

7 Likes

This is insane. Absolutely insane. One of the best teams on Roblox by far, with elegant solutions that go above and beyond. When you’re ready, I cannot wait until this gets shipped.

11 Likes

Real cool update, definitely helps games to be better looking

2 Likes

Good to hear, this is a great improvement!

Out of curiosity, since there have been many updates pertaining to meshes and PBR (mesh deformation, PBR materials, SurfaceAppearances…), will it ever be possible to use displacement maps? I think that would be another great improvement to PBR materials.

5 Likes

Thank you–the team’s worked incredibly hard. Comments like this make the hard work worthwhile :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Right now our focus is on Material Service v1, but we are definitely aware of the requests for additional capabilities (displacement, emission, etc.).

7 Likes

I see, I’m definitely looking forward to that but this update to MaterialService is fantastic regardless!

2 Likes

Now we have this function, i would like to ask if emissionmaps will be added for both materials and surfaceappearances since that would also be great since that would add the possibility to make realistic lights, another feature i would ask if possible would be to make a setting that would allow the material to refract just like glass would without making transparent parts behind it hidden if so that would also make roblox alot better.

2 Likes

Will there ever be a way to control the offsetstudsU and offsetstudsV of the material varient on the part? One use case is making the texture stay consistent after greedy meshing in voxel games. Also it helps getting rid of discontinues between parts next to each other in building.

2 Likes

I can’t figure out how to get this to work. I see how you can create a variant and replace a default with it in material service, but how you do do a ‘per part’ replacement?

3 Likes

Select the part. Set the material type in properties. Then pick the variant you want under the MaterialVariant part property.

(The upcoming Material Manager tool will make this more straightforward.)

5 Likes

Oh, I had totally overlooked the material variant property in the part. Thanks.

2 Likes

Is it ever planned to let us create our own ‘deformation’ for terrain, such as ‘Rocky’ terrain is all sharp, and ‘Sand’ is all smooth?

4 Likes

The first Beta of this was good but you know, you could only have one variant for each material, this Beta added this and that really made this Beta powerful and the fact that the terrain is also changable. Good job! :smiley:

2 Likes

So cool to see roblox graphics slowly but surely getting better and better.

2 Likes