Material Service Beta Updated with Per Part Custom Materials + More

Is anyone else getting a strange yellow square flickering on terrain when you enable future lighting? I just opened an old terrain place from 2017 and this was here. Keep in mind there’s nothing but terrain in this map.

6 Likes

wait did it really com? omg yayyaaay
ITS REALLLL YES FINALLY PER PART
LIKE… I CANT DESCRIBE HOW HAPPY I AM RIGHT NOW
thank you all for youre hard work

4 Likes

Nope i have all graphics turned to high. Unfortunately.

3 Likes

I just noticed the property ‘ColorMap’ of MaterialVariant is locked for scripts. Why is this? I thought of making the water texture a material and change the ‘ColorMap’ to update all textures of each water block at once, but looks like this is impossible with this property locked.

8 Likes

hopefully in the next material service beta the color of grass decoration will be separate from the grass material color.

3 Likes

This new feature is awesome! I’m going to start learning how to use this so I can make these amazing materials in my games!

2 Likes

I have a problem.

The unified material override turned my grass terrain to the same texture as my grass part texture. I could remove the override but that means I have to change every grass part to the MaterialVariant. I am complaining because that would be a huuuuuge pain. Is there an easier fix to this?

9 Likes

Make another blocky material a dirt grass. Minecraft has the same issue sometimes, it’s up to you to fix

4 Likes

Leave and rejoin, it’s a bug currently

3 Likes

unfortunately no, not until they add the ability to add materials without overriding default ones, you’ll have to do 2 separate materialVariants and set them yourself. If I’m being honest, they should add at the top of the toolbar where you can have a default material and default brickColor, the ability to set a default MaterialVariant so you don’t have to set a material variant for the part each time so for now, when you add a basePart to the workspace, set it before hand

4 Likes

any plans to add support for transparent materials?

7 Likes

This is very exciting! Hopefully this gets pushed out as fast as things like the audio update were pushed out, and not completely abandoned with no word from here on like the highlight and ugc video updates!

2 Likes

well I cant fix it because it’s a building game so it will always look like that

1 Like

If we had options to create new materials entirely a few of the additional settings I’d want

• Height - amount of deformation that can occur with it
  • Grass - Can grass be overlayed on that terrain type
5 Likes

This is really cool! I personally really like the Terrain Detail and Unified Material Overrides for Part and Terrain I like the fact that we can apply certain details to things depending if it’s on it side or not, and also the fact that it all fits in. I have continuously have been in a situation where they just dont fit and I don’t find a solution for it :sob:

3 Likes

Wow that cobblestone material especially looks gorgeous :heart_eyes: Super excited for this!

3 Likes

Thank you. Seeing roblox software devs and engineers reply with even a simple answer helps us out.

2 Likes

Hi there @JoshSedai, would it be possible to opt in to the new MaterialService features on a testing experience that I work on in studio currently?

I’m finding it difficult to benchmark performance and other things due to how differently it functions compared to the production client.

If not, no worries, but if so, thanks in advanced.

Here’s the experience I use currently:

https://www.roblox.com/games/9302258262

2 Likes

As the new built-in materials are rolled out to override the current built-in materials, I would really like to see Roblox release a pack of MaterialVariants that allow developers to re-implement the current materials used. Something like this would really help make sure that everybody gets what they want with this new material update and allow developers to keep their game’s current look should they dislike how the new built-in materials look. :grin:

2 Likes

What’s the performance impact of many MaterialVariants simply existing, assume no parts contain the MaterialVariant as a property? Are they expensive?

I’m working on a game that will include customization of parts’ materials and whatnot but I fear it could be problematic if I have to create 15 MaterialVariants for 15 types of flooring.

2 Likes