Material Service Beta Updated with Per Part Custom Materials + More

Amazing update.

I did discover a small bug(?), which happens when you switch to an incompatible base material, the Material Variant property shows a warning rather than clearing the property itself. Unless this behavior is intended, it is probably something worth noting since I was expecting that property to be cleared.

4 Likes

I think this acts as intended. Two use cases;

• You can have multiple MaterialVariants of the same name, lets say you have a “Ceiling” variant of Metal, and another of WoodPlanks, it would make sense that you just change the Material on the part and it works as expected, then if you need to change it back, it’s alot easier.
  • When you save your parts and then place them in a new workspace, there is still a reference to a material of that name so it can see if it’s viable or not.

One thing I would prefer in the drop-down MaterialVariant property is having all the Variants of my current BaseMaterial as the only/first options. Currently it’s just a list of everything, which seems a bit odd.

3 Likes

Thanks for your feedback. We are aware of this and looking into this.

5 Likes

You can try adding Terrain Detail for Top face and plug in different textures.

1 Like

Unfortunately not yet, but we’re hoping we can enable this in deployed experiences soon. Your feedback and reaction to beta 2 is a major factor in that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is intended behavior and the use cases @edenojack pointed out are part of the reason why this is the case.

3 Likes

We decided to include all variants in the material variant dropdown to make it easier to switch in between variants rather than having to look up which base material you need in order to get to a material variant. The text input will autocomplete for you, or if you have the combobox open, you can type to filter if the amount of material variants you’re sifting through is getting out of hand.

3 Likes

So, I want to ask, could we get the organic tiling option for normal parts? It would make natural materials look a lot better, since the default tiling is really bad on them.

7 Likes

Yes my grass texture look really bad, Also have an option to configure the random organic tiling, Such as size of organic tiling in part, Because if the stud per tile is too small it will not tile “beautifully” and I wanted to be able to tile high res texure

4 Likes

Amazing! I’ve been wishing for some of these features ever since I joined Roblox.

However, maybe we could get animated custom textures like Water, for example, a custom lava?

1 Like

This is great! So excited to use this.

Just realised that clicking on the MaterialVariants also changes the BaseMaterial, thank you for clarifying this!

Would it be possible for any clarification on this question? Rather than having a seperate Color property for different materials, I’d even be happy with just having segments of the material be a static colour

simply do not enable any material overrides…

I am talking about the new 2022 materials.

In that case, I assume they’ll provide new materials as a toolbox model or something along those lines, maybe they’ll be built-in options for overrides. After the backlash from their last attempt at forcing new materials, atleast.

Do you think when you guys fix the color issue with the grass the most desired thing that can be done to the grass now is at least allowing us to change the render distance of it?

I know it can be done as Its set via FFlags and I find it quite stupid how you wont let us modify anything relating to that.

Like honestly the rendering for it isn’t the greatest to begin with but the MAX Render distance it can have is 290 studs? People on high graphics can definitely handle a further range of grass being processed

Enhanced Distance

Flags Modified

FRMMaxGrassDistance FInt 2000 - Max Render Distance of Grass

FRMMinGrassDistance FInt 1000 - Minimum Render Distance of Grass

GrassColorTintMode FFlag false - Applies darker tint color under grass

RenderGrassDetailStrands FInt 750 - Distance grass will render at higher detail

RenderPreciseGrass FFlag true - Not sure tbh

Pictures with higher distance

Castle Map

Starter Place

Pirate Map

My Personal Game

Default Distance

Flags Default

FRMMaxGrassDistance FInt 290 - Max Render Distance of Grass

FRMMinGrassDistance FInt 100 - Minimum Render Distance of Grass

GrassColorTintMode FFlag false - Applies darker tint color under grass

RenderGrassDetailStrands FInt 15 - Distance grass will render at higher detail

RenderPreciseGrass FFlag true - Not sure tbh

Castle Map

Starter Place

Pirate Map

My Personal Game

I’m not a regular so I can’t bring these dead features to light in feature request but its annoying they promised so much for this feature and left it at a non-customizable state. What’s even more frustrating is they left it untouched for so long when it is literally enabled in so many games that use terrain. Such as shame really.

7 Likes

This is perfect for my game, good job! This removes a ton of struggle when it comes to making a game look right and giving it a nearly AAA look.

A few things I’d suggest is Organic materials working on parts and being able to use a terrain material that doesn’t have the same base material as the terrain material (for example, using the cracked lava material with wet sand textures with the base material set as sand). Otherwise, this works wonders for my game and has greatly enhanced the amount of detail that everything from sidewalks to bricks have.

Is there any ETA for the ingame release?

5 Likes

Is there any way of telling when this feature will be released outside of studio?
My game is currently being halted because of this.

Studio looks awesome, but not in game.

7 Likes

This is really going to open a window into the future realism of roblox.

2 Likes

Great update, however I feel having the TerrainDetail also borrow the material’s set Color3 is an odd decision. If I wanted to color my custom grass, it also colors the side of my terrain, which is not how it works for the default materials. Unless I am missing something?

2 Likes