Melee Combat Hit Registration

Hello guys, I have a fairly simple question today. I have noticed that many games recently (most notably Deepwoken, but there’s quite a few more examples) have had interesting hit registration in game.

For example, whenever a player swings a sword, it isn’t a simple cubic hitbox, it actually feels like the player’s weapon is hitting where the animation went. I know that it isn’t using the raycast module because the damage is applied at the same time if there are multiple enemies, rather than split up at the exact time the sword hit the different models, and I don’t want to rely 100% on the animations to determine where the hit should be. I feel like these games are using something akin to magnitude / dot, and I was curious how you guys would recommend implementing something like this, since I am trying to create something similar.

1 Like

Yeah, your right they dont use cubic hitboxs, they probably use Raycast hitbox, if you want more info about this consider reading this article, it has a tutorial to learn how to use it and explains how it works, greetings!

Link

Raycast Hitbox 4.01: For all your melee needs!