MeshPart Usage, Performance & Optimizations

Best post on this topic! Really love how in depth this is. I wish I found this when I was first starting out!
I will recommend this post to my friends :]

1 Like

Sorry for the bump :smiley: amazing tutorial!

I understand that this is a plugin, but anyone got any idea on how to troubleshoot precise problems with the collisions? I’ve noticed that using roblox parts usually gives them a bit of sinking space so they go inside each other, this may also be why thin parts phase through stuff easily.

I made a train track which is a mix of roblox parts and meshes and it has some scary collision jumps making it unstable and unusable. The plugin shows a seemingly accurate, yet somehow false collision decomposition. I’d assume this is more of a problem with the engine than the plugin.

Basically sometimes the parts sink, sometimes they don’t. In this image the front wheel is above the decomposed mesh collision shown by the plugin and the rear wheel is sinking inside a roblox block part. Wheels are roblox cylinders.

When I set the decomposition to precise it seems less precise than default, but apart from that initial jump the middle of the mesh is fine. With default on every edge of collision there’s a jump. By jump I mean a difference in how much the wheel sinks. This causes an unstable vertical movement that is obviously unhealthy for a rail vehicle. I would make it path based instead of physics so this can be avoided and performance can be spared, but idk how to do that yet.

In this image the left is precise and right is default mesh collision. I would assume it kinda fails because the curve is towards the inside as when you do a hull collision it completely flattens any indentations, inside curves or holes in a mesh.

1 Like