MeshParts vs Part + SpecialMesh

Is there any performance hit when using a Part and SpecialMesh to accomplish the same result as a MeshPart? I feel like I recall that SpecialMesh wasn’t “featherweight” whereas MeshPart was, can anyone confirm that? The reason I’m asking is because of this problem with MeshParts that will inevitably (eventually) ruin all of my servers. I’m assuming that this problem doesn’t exist with BasePart, but if they aren’t “featherweight” my users might lag using the SpecialMesh option.

1 Like

If you plan on using SpecialMeshes instead of MeshParts, you can’t change the material of it, iirc. Additionally you have to manually resize it in the properties unlike in MeshParts you can just drag with the resize tool.

1 Like

I also don’t think they have shadows? In any case, if the MeshPart is creating a memory leak, I don’t see much of an option. Furthermore, in my use case, I don’t need to change the material or worry about the resizing. I’m really just worried about their performance as far as memory/rendering the most.

1 Like

Take a look at this post…

The section called “Relative costs of updates, from faster to slower”

4 Likes