MessagingService: Creating an 'infinite player server'

This is really neat and useful. Thanks aha

1 Like

Yes! I had the exact same idea! A really cool thing to try would be updating. As a server shuts down when the player leaves, you would eventually have all the servers at the same version and there would be no need to shutdown the game.

1 Like

Would it be possible to only replicate users in a certain area (f.e. inside of a 10x10 square), rather than replicating a whole server.
Also adding on to that, would it also be possible to duplicate administartive commands working on those servers, for example you type :m test on one server, would that replicate to the rest of them?

I wouldn’t recommend using this as the method relied on the old MessagingService limitations, to which the current one is limited and does not scale well for large numbers of players.

1 Like

With the new limitations, we’re restricted to ~1 message every 3 seconds, as apposed to ~1 message every 0.3 seconds when I first wrote the article. It’s absolutely still possible, it just means there will be a more visible delay.

Instead of recording and sending data of every player in the server, simply do the same but for players located within a restricted area (i.e. using functions such as FindPartsInRegion3, GetTouchingParts or DistanceFromCharacter). I’ll probably have a go at this myself when I have some time in the near future.

I’m actually setting up a global system to do exactly that for HD Admin, so feel free to use the source code from that once it’s released.

2 Likes

If you complete it with HD Admin - try to use Kohls (Infinite) as it is also one of the larger administrative command modules.

I might make this but with an external server to get much better speed and more messages/sec. Keep an eye out

4 Likes