Methods for Inventory System

Hello people! I’ll just get right to the point of this post. I’m curious what methods would be best for designing a three item inventory.

Briefly going over ideas would help me get a place to start on one.

2 Likes

What do you mean by ‘three-item inventory’?

Well, I suppose I could say just inventory, however in my case, it’ll only be three items. Not sure why I was so specific, hopefully it wasn’t misleading.

Hmm, well the first thing that comes to my mind when I hear a “3-item inventory” are FPS shooter game inventories. Specifically, those scrollable inventory systems.

i made a tutorial recently on how to make one:

Ehh, I’m working on a Horror Experience, and they have a sort of hotbar of three items, which makes up their inventory.

I mean, do you want to make a custom inventory?

Like um, press F for flashlight or something like that?

Well, I wouldn’t mind using the Roblox Backpack system however I’m making a custom tool bar basically, and when they press 1, 2 or 3, it equips the tool thats in that slot.

Well in that case, you could do something like this:

local UIS = game:GetService("UserInputService")
local PS = game:GetService("Players")

local playerObject = PS.LocalPlayer
local character = playerObject.Character or playerObject.CharacterAdded:Wait()
local humanoid = character:WaitForChild("Humanoid")

UIS.InputBegan:Connect(function(input, process) -- LISTENS FOR INPUT
	if process then
		return
	end

if input.UserInputType == Enum.UserInputType.MouseWheel then
		if input.KeyCode = Enum.KeyCode.1 then -- NOT ON ROBLOX STUDIO SO IM NOT SURE IF THIS THE KEYCODE FOR 1
			for _,tools in pairs(playerObject.Backpack:GetChildren()) do
				if tools:IsA("Tool") and tools.Name == "Flashlight" then
					humanoid:EquipTool(tools)
				end
			end
		end
	end
end)

So if Flashlight is the number one tool on the Backpack hotbar, that is what it’ll equip.

Nah nah. Basically if you press 1 on your keyboard, it will search for a specific tool named “Flashlight”. If found, it will equip it.

Oh, my bad, I just got that as you said that lol

1 Like

and for the custom hotbar I can just run things on the client locally like maybe having it highlight the Slot that has the flashlight in it if that makes sense lol

1 Like