Monetization and Permadeath Mechanics

Where do players draw the line in Monetization in RPGs with Permadeath?
How many microtransactions is too much for this game?

I’m starting to get pretty far ahead in my project, Lands of Hell. I wanted to have the core mechanics done before I even fully plann out monetization so the players are paying to support a game that exists, not a game that might or might not be finished someday.

The game does include permadeath, I don’t have the specifics planned out, but essentially when you die (or die a number of times) your character dies and you make a new one.

Current Idea

https://gyazo.com/bda9ff65241dc9cf5e7b1277bbdb533c
One idea I had is taking advantage of my character customization system, rather than letting you start the game with the ability to make your own cosmetics items (such as a mask, hat, hair, etc) you get preset items, but you can buy dev products to add to your options of items.

Default character, likely to be the presets with boy hair.

Example:

1. Player starts off with the default character with either a boy or girl hair, a bandana, and a cowboy hat.
  2. Player purchases the dev product to make a top hat.
  3. Player puts on the top hat and start their character with it.
  4. Player dies.
  5. Player can make a new character with either a boy or girl hair, a bandana, a cowboy hat, AND a top hat.
  6. Player can only start their character with 1 hair, 1 mask, and 1 hat.

You will still be able to buy/loot items from other players and NPCs (except hairs lol) just by playing. These cosmetic items include hats, masks, hairs, shirts, and pants. All this does is let you further customize your character you first start with.

Examples of monetization with permadeath

In Rogue Lineage there’s several microtransactions. If you want to change your race, you have to either find a rare artifact that does so in-game or you can pay robux to get a random race. And once you reroll, if you want to go back to your original race, you’ll have to keep rerolling until you get the one you want.

You can also revive yourself from being perma-death’d once per character for 1,000 robux (was 1k last I played)

Please tell me what you guys think, thank you for reading!

4 Likes

I recall that in Rogue Lineage, the Last Wind microtransaction(1k robux) can only be paid once and dying again prevents you from buying it again. Probably for obvious reasons. Maybe it’s recommended to limit amount of possible microtransaction per life. If the microtransaction contains randomness, please disclose the percentages.

What I think you should do with cosmetic microtransaction, should be permanent on future new characters after death. typo lol woops

Other games with similar way to utilize permanent cosmetics(or microtransactions), which do have permadeath or resemblance of permadeath:

• Apocalypse Rising
  • Unturned
  • Realm of the Mad God
3 Likes

Yeah I posted that it was once per character.

What do you think of my current idea?
Do you think it’s frustrating for players?
Is there anything about it I could change to not upset the playerbase as much?
If this idea can work well, how much do you think I should charge per dev product?

If I considered your current idea, my answer would be that it is acceptable. There’s no frustration in cosmetics as far as I know. The playerbase expect the system to not fail, make sure you have some backup plan to restore a player’s purchase if they bought it once before, but the game fails to save their purchases.

Pricing? Well, take Apocalypse Rising as an inspiration. They actually sold gamepasses to permanently keep certain kind of cosmetics. It might be more recommended to utilize gamepasses rather than dev products, or you might lose it if the saves fail.

Thank you for your feedback!

The reason why I do want to monetize via dev products is for several reasons,

1. Avoid data buildup: If I sold it as a gamepass, that’d mean players can make as many items as they want and have them as options in their datastores (using DS2 currently) forever. That could turn into a humongous table. I’d have to add some kind of limit.
  2. Give players the option to have only what they want at that time: A gamepass for infinite item options would be a lot more expensive than just one.
  3. Consistent Income: Ideally, I’d like for this to be the only microtransaciton part of the game and allow me to continue working on this indefinitely with a flow of income. I’d rather have a dollar at the end of each day than a hundred at the end of each century.

That, and in my time freelancing I’ve noticed dev products that are 5 robux each just typically sell better than gamepasses that are 50 robux each.

Earning trust with players and building a consistent community though is my top priority.

I remember that once before, I asked a question regarding permadeath mechanics and whether they were worth the pursuit. It isn’t directly the same question as I was focused on the mechanic as opposed to where to draw the line with monetisation, but perhaps something there may help you out.

1 Like