MonsieurBasile - Media Composer [Closed]

[Currently Under Development…again]

10 Likes

Considering I’m a firm believer in this I’ll gladly expand on to this encase you misunderstood the point. It isn’t that we believe custom tracks is irrelevant or useless it’s since music isn’t a priority compared to a scripter or builder.

When it comes down to leading the project we’re not obligated to a payout. Players decide which games are successful which all comes down to how you marketed it,how efficient the coding was, and the game idea itself. To prevent myself from becoming homeless I stay within my budget and attempt to improvise with what little I know.

I’ll be sure to keep your services in mind during the future however if you’re desperate for a job I’ve got a decent amount of game % unclaimed. I understand that offer might not be within your interest, so I’ll be sure to contact you if my budget increases or sometime later in the future.

Regardless I wish you the best and hopefully you get commissioned soon.

1 Like

First and foremost, thanks for the response. I think it’s very beneficial for developers of different calibers to talk about different aspects of Roblox game development. Doing this, we’re able to obtain different perspectives and ideas from others that can benefit our success in the future.

That being said, I guess my point is that I strongly believe original music should be on people’s minds a lot more than it is. Like you said, you don’t feel it’s as important as scripting and building a game. While I 100% agree with this, I don’t think it’s getting as much attention as it should. And this is not just to benefit my sales and to get more commissions. My goal in including this is to simply give a composers perspective to project leaders and potential clients to hopefully help them get a better understanding on why investing in an original soundtrack, or even a few original songs, is worth it.

Thanks!

7 Likes

While that’s a great goal to have, and I believe you’ll meet it someday… realistically however before you can lead a movement you’ve got to get your name known across the community in a positive way.

Irrelevant to game development however martin Luther king JR had enough followers to carry on his movement globally. If he hadn’t took the time to build up his reputation, harness his power in a positive way it’s possible segregation wouldn’t have been demolished.

If you want to be the voice of other artists you’ll have to acquire that level of respect and status to reach more than just a couple people.

2 Likes

I apologise. I guess “goal” wasn’t quite the word I was looking for. By no means am I trying to start a revolution or try an convince every single developer they need an original soundtrack. What I was trying to do with that quote was give a common thought process a Roblox game developer has when it comes to purchasing original music, then give my perspective on why you WOULD want to consider purchasing original music (which I admit, shouldn’t be for everyone).

But it sounds like that quote and response on my original post could use some tidying up. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I appreciate it.

2 Likes

In my experience as a former trumpet player of 9 years, both in marching and concert, and a former member of the music honors fraternity Kappa Kappa Psi, I truly do agree that music is instrumental (get what I did there?) for establishing immersion for RPGs and adventure-style games.

Quality soundtracks have the lingering effect of keeping a game’s theme on your mind for hours or even days after playing. A strong album of songs can impact player retention. This is why I personally spent days sifting through APM’s music library, after Roblox signed the licensing deal, in order to ensure that the soundtracks in my game were fitting and exciting.

However, we need to look at this from a business owner perspectoive, not a musician. Most individuals seeking music for their games are project managers, game developers, or group owners. It’s difficult for game developers and producers to commission Roblox SFX artists or media composers such as yourself for their games.

The reason for this is that story-driven games or slower-paced games where you can truly appreciate soundtracks are time-consuming and expensive to produce. They’re more all-or-nothing than any other style of game. Oftentimes, budgets, especially for up-and-coming developers/teams are tight. When they see price-tags of 10k per <2 minute original piece, they scoff. Say the average game has 15 musical pieces. If someone were to commission you for just 3 of those scores, it would cost them 30k. That’s already exceeding or approaching the budget that most small-time devs allocate for stuff like GFX. Even if your prices were slashed in half, it would still be difficult for many consumers to afford you. Especially with how expensive scripting and UI-work can be.

The issue lies in the type of people who can afford your rates. The mass-majority of games on the front-page, or highest-grossing games, are fast-paced. Simulators, life role-plays, and combat games tend to be light on thought-process, so you aren’t really focusing too much on fine art aspects of the game. The few exceptions, games with true immersion that are designed for you to soak in the environment and be at awe, are just that, few exceptions. The consumer base for your services is marginally small, most of the devs/producers who can afford you, don’t require original soundtracks. They don’t particularly need quality soundtracks either.

I guess this would increase the importance of catering to story-driven game designers. Since they are less common on the platform, it makes their business more important to you. I understand that you, like many other developers here on the platform are trying to make a decent wage off of your hard work. That’s completely reasonable. It’s just important to consider that many games are successful because they’re easy, simple fun. So sophistication isn’t as big of a priority for them. Original soundtracks are awe-inspiring, but they’re almost at a level beyond what most game makers require. So that might be why the market is small and why many have adopted the “Music isn’t important in a game. It doesn’t really add any value. Plus if I really needed it, I could just find some for free and use that.” bias.

5 Likes

I can’t thank you enough for the response. I have now completely updated my portfolio. Hopefully it better represents what I am shooting for. Again, thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

My portfolio has now been updated thanks to fantastic feedback I’ve received from the community. All previous responses may be outdated in terms of the content in the portfolio. Thanks!

1 Like

I’m glad there are more music composer in here nice portfolio.

1 Like

I really like your soundtracks; you really know how to fit the theme you’re following.
Good luck with your clients, I hope I hear more of your work in the future!

As one of his clients, I can definitely vogue for Monsieur’s work. Not only is he a talented composer, he is also simply a very open minded, creative, and flexible individual. I hope you all consider hiring him for any composition needs!

Requested by topic creator.