More information about our DMCA policy

I’d ask that you read my own post before claiming others did not. Directly after the point about the EFF guidelines, I had asked for some things to be clarified which could help clear up how strict the system is. There’s a major difference between “All cases are considered strikes, regardless of intent.” and “These users are different from other users, since they’re using that content in a way which is solely for profit.”

The point of me bringing up the post was not “Don’t use a strike system at all!” but more “Is the strike system going to be fleshed out enough to the point where good users won’t have to worry about it, since they’d be abiding by the rules? Is the system fluent enough to not fit the warnings the EFF describes?”

Even if Roblox wished to stay vague, they could still answer certain questions as simple as “We review content in a case by case manner. We will determine if such content is worthy on a strike depending on the severity.”

This is a system I’d like to be confident to stand on, knowing it won’t crumble me and others around me over Roblox showing they can’t handle such a system, and in order to do that it’d be good if we could better understand it. Better understanding means seeing Roblox clear up what certain cases may mean, even if it’s as simple as things like “We acknowledge that you can’t view your past unions in a list due to how our union system works, and will try to keep that in mind when determining whether something deserves a strike.”

It doesn’t mean someone else coming in and saying “This is how their vague, oddly worded post could be read as” because as nice as those posts are, they don’t stand on anything people are understanding. Even you admit the posts are vague, and are worded in ways which could be interpreted in ways which don’t match up with how the system actually works.

3 Likes

As I referenced, the policy is intentionally vague as to what they consider strikeable. This applies with nearly any ToS in any company. The vagueness not only allows for protection of the company itself but each case to be reviewed individually.

That being said, the only reason I tagged you there was for the sole fact that the specific mention of EFF you made in an earlier comment is continuing to be used and ‘some’ people are seemingly not actually reading OP. The EFF ‘recommended’ steps of action are almost word for word what Roblox has listed in OP. Everyone who is mentioning that they should follow EFF and are surprised that they aren’t are simply wrong. A quick re-read of both the EFF recommended guidelines and Roblox’s OP show that, as I referenced above with images of both OP and the EFF guidelines.

I do agree that this is not a light issue and that some clarification on what exactly would constitute a strike would be nice to see, but seeing it from the way most companies word their ToS it makes complete and total sense as to why they are so vague.

I continue to see this as a very fair implementation of a long withstanding policy. I am glad that Roblox has finally publicized this policy to the extent they have. I’ve been using this platform for nearly 9 years now with no understanding of how they handle DMCA filings. Transparency is nice. I’ll take what I can get.

I fully agree with the EFF and am glad to see that Roblox is taking note of what they recommend and following along with it.

1 Like

Again, they can still be vague while clearing up certain issues. Is it really that much to know “Oh, the fact that I can’t clear up unions on my own is known, and won’t be held against me in the future.” ?

As for the reference images, that’s why my post had those last two paragraphs. There’s being vague enough to allow flexibility, and then there’s being so vague and oddly worded that nobody understands what you’re saying. It doesn’t matter whether someone else shows how it could be interpreted as, because I can’t be sure that’s exactly the case.

It’d be like music lyrics before the internet made it easy to look them up. Two people hear the same lyric to their favorite tune, singing along, but then there’s a bit of a desync between the two later on in the song. One hears one thing, and another hears another. Even if they were to both explain their sides, and how it could fit within the rest of the lyrics, neither of them are really sure which one is right, and the only way either of them are going to know for sure is if they got word from someone involved in making the song.

There are situations where someone on the side “explaining the legal nonsense” in an easier to understand way works, but this isn’t quite one of those cases, and it’s only made more strict when this is about a policy which could determine if your account will still be around later on.

4 Likes

While Roblox has made some decisions that the community dislikes, I think it’s important to recognize that they as a company are very receptive to user and developer input and feedback, especially after they have already made a decision.

Do strikes expire? If someone gets a strike for something they posted 5 years ago (which shouldn’t happen IMHO) why should it last their entire life on Roblox?

1 Like

Read the follow-up, it’s linked at the bottom of the thread and also several times in the replies:

3 Likes

How does this 3 strike system affect those with models from like 5 years ago?

1 Like

Has anyone received a response or had their assets deleted yet through this method? I emailed nine days ago and I haven’t heard back or had the assets removed. I’m really paranoid I’ll get a strike before the assets are dealt with.

8 Likes

While I do fully agree and find it odd that they haven’t sent emails back yet -

Giving a strike is not a quick process. It starts with a warning, an opportunity to counter notice, and then it is taken to the next step from there depending on the previous.

I am sure that if you get to the warning phase and let them know you sent an email in with the assets in question requesting deletion a while before they will not take action. I don’t really think you have to worry about getting a strike before they delete your assets.

4 Likes

Ah, thank you for the information. Glad to hear that I won’t automatically get a strike for the content pending for deletion! :slight_smile:

Gonna ask again what @Aorda asked. Are we able to have hundreds of assets bulk-deleted? I sent an email requesting that all decals be removed from my account because I had the bright idea to upload a video frame-by-frame (~1100 decals) 3 years ago and I haven’t gotten a response in 8 days, nor have any of the assets been deleted.

5 Likes

If I have lots of assets that can be taken down for copyright but they aren’t used anywhere (game is shutdown), is that fine or do I need to email roblox to remove them? I have thousands of card decals from a long time ago, not sure what I am expected to do.

I would write a script that goes between certain asset ids and generates a list of links of assets that you own in that range so you can send that through. Alternatively, if all the assets are on an alt account or so, you could just ask them if they can completely cleanup the assets of that account.

Realistically, you probably won’t get in trouble for them if you aren’t using them. It can still be DMCA’d against, but unless another user on the website starts using your assets in projects or they have a name that makes them easy to find for IP owners, it’s unlikely they’ll ever be found.

3 Likes

You know whats interesting. I own a group which could terminated due to DMCA and in contacting Roblox to see if something could be done so that would not be a problem in the future I was told that there was nothing that could be done until the company sent a request. I was also told by the respondent that they would not further converse with me on the matter. My problem is even then I am not certain what would happen to my community with it being above 10k+ members. I did not create the group I have been the owner since 200 members. The fact that Roblox would not even take steps to prevent the situation from brewing concerns me.

3 Likes

Did you ask customer support or developer relations? (might want to try the latter if you only tried the former)

4 Likes

Yes I did contact customer support. I have recontacted them as well. Hopefully I can get the issue resolved. Thanks for your input @buildthomas greatly appreciated. :grinning:

2 Likes

You shouldn’t actually receive a strike unless the rights holder to the audio sends a DMCA takedown request to Roblox, specifying they include you. If they do send a DMCA takedown request, then either you don’t actually have the license (except you just stated you do), or there’s been a screw-up on their side and asking them to retract it should work.

1 Like

Any update on this for you? I’m having trouble finding info on whether people had actually gotten assets removed yet.

I’m sure they just have loads to go through so it’ll take time, but I just want to make sure I don’t have to resend or contact support!

ROBLOX experienced problems with developers using copyright assets and have been held responsible for the content the community members have made. I am so happy this change came out. I am in favour of this in every way!

This problem has happened many times actually. Possibly never hearing back or the email couldn’t be processed. I haven’t used copyright assets however my friend used to so I know this from him. It would probably take a long wait for assets to be removed, however, you send an email requesting removal of that copyright asset, you just need to wait. There is no reason to be worried they would ban or terminate you under something that is their responsibility… I hope, they usually don’t do so well at that. However, just requesting a removal is fine enough to have it their responsibility to remove. That is pretty much all to be done.