Moving at high velocities realistically

Hi, i’m making a system for super speed (Think Quicksilver, The Flash, etc) and was just wondering if there was a way to make it more realistic than just increasing the walkspeed of the player and making a trail.

Increase the field of view of the camera with speed, tween some lines starting from the center and going towards the outside, add some camera shake, etc. would help it feel faster.

There are most likely other threads that could help you implement any one of these.

1 Like

Hello,

I watch these shows & wanted to work on a speedster type game myself. If you’re looking to achieve the “slow motion” or “flash time” sort of events they go through I have a framework which might be able to help.

I’ve made a Time Scale Framework which let’s the player slow down time around them while they can continue as normal.

Hopefully you can find some use in this. :slightly_smiling_face:
Work is still on going on this framework to make it better so there is more to come from it in the future.

Let me know if you’re looking for something else or if this is the sort of thing you’re looking for! :grin:

Oh yeah, i’ve seen that module. It’s really cool! I’ve been trying to figure out how you slowed down gravity without it effecting the player. But I just can’t seem to figure out how you did it.

Good idea’s! Just wondering what you mean by tweening lines from the center

Google “speed lines” to see what I mean

I don’t change the workspace gravity :wink:. I just apply an upwards force to negate the effects of gravity in each object. This way you can whitelist objects that will be part of the changed time scale too! :slightly_smiling_face:

Note: Currently there is some issues around affecting models & stuff but those are being worked on for the next release! :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh, are you using Vector Forces for that?

1 Like

Correct, I’m using VectorForces to negate some of the gravity proportional to what’s required to slow down time by X amount.