Multiplayer horror game ideas

Hey there!

So i’m planning to make a multiplayer horror game, but can’t seem to come to a conclusion on what you should be aiming to do throughout the round. Should you be looking for keys to find other keys to open up a door? Should you be looking for generators to activate? Am i trying to kill the monster, or escape from it?

I don’t want to add those examples listed above, because they’re overused. I’m looking for a unique format.

Any ideas would be appreciated! :+1:

3 Likes

A great idea I had the other day is to have a rescue mission instead. It will be a different idea than just the old Piggy-style game. Maybe a friend accidentally entered a hole or a cave where they get kept hostage by a demon or a killer.

However, don’t tell too much information to your players as it will kinda ruin the horror mood. One of the most key things is the fear of the unknown. So, what you can do is just give them:

Stacy is nowhere to be seen, maybe she went in this cave nearby…

That’s as vague as it’s clear. Players know to rescue Stacy and get out, but we don’t tell them that there is a demon (which a horror game probably already insinuates that) nor as to how Stacy got trapped.

And you did say multiplayer, right? IDK about you, but if I was playing a horror game and I was alone, it’d be 10x scarier than being with other players. Not only that, but some avatars are so hilarious it ruins the mood for good. What you can do to keep the mood and make it multiplayer is to separate your players from the beginning. Like they spawn at different places and the place is big enough that they usually don’t meet up as often. Something to add to this is some text saying:

Huh? Where did everyone else go? I swear they were right behind me…

This leaves your players feeling helpless and afraid (just what we need muahaha).

IDK if you’ve read it already, but here’s my tutorial, if you want some more information:
BOO - The 3 Prime Elements to Spice up Your Horror Games!

5 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

My horror game will be mostly 2 characters trying to find shelter from some guy in different abandoned places. In each of these abandoned places, he released his grief as a physical form. The thing is i’m not sure what the objective will be in these 10 minutes of this monster hunting you. For example, In Stop It Slender you have to open 3 generators and collect all 8 pages, in Until the dawn you have to survive 6 hours, in Piggy you have to collect all the keys which allow you to open a door to escape and so on.I want to make the game as original as possible, so i’m trying to keep away from this generator/keys trend.

I am aware how the horror fades away in a multiplayer game, but i’m not trying to go FULL horror, rather a tense horror game which will make you jump. I have this planned so that even players who aren’t the monster, will make you jump.

(Trust me, the game will be much more exciting, and have game mechanics you’ll have never seen before. Its not just running away from a monster.)

4 Likes

Maybe the monster can switch between powers and when they switch, they drop a collectable needed to escape and every 2 minutes, the monster has to switch or they fade away and the player team wins and there could be a item that makes the monster switch to a random power?

2 Likes

Hm, i like how unique it is, but i want the survivors to work to be able to escape. Plus one of them escaping every two minutes because the monster drops something feels odd.

I feel like i want for the monster to be defeated, by getting an action done to it 3 times. Every time it gets hit, it becomes stronger/angrier. Thing is, how are the players going to get the weapon/s, and what if one person hogs it?

No, like every 2 minutes the monster drops a collectable and you can find them throughout the map and you can only use 1 collectable but when the monster switches you can collect more.

1 Like

I’m not good with coming up with horror ideas.

but once players see the game fun to play with the horror aspect then :ok_hand:

2 Likes