Native full-screen mode is not able to be entered

Currently, as of 1/21/2021, “native” full-screen mode is not able to be entered due to a recent fix for a windows DPI scaling bug. “Native” full-screen mode was able to be entered by pressing alt + enter, which would give the game client full control over the display and would also prioritize the process, decreasing mouse latency, improving FPS, and decreasing input lag.
Instead of fixing the DPI scaling issue with native fullscreen, the functionality was simply disabled - this is not ideal, as a large number of players prefer to use native fullscreen mode for the aforementioned performance improvements.

It would be great if “native” full-screen functionality was restored, while still keeping a fix for windows DPI scaling.

12 Likes

Hi @Noble_Draconian, I was not able to reproduce any of those detrimental side effects you describe, but I have to admit I only have a small set of PCs available for testing. Can you provide some information about your system (OS, GPU, display) and add some more detail about the issue you are seeing and how you are measuring it? I’d like to try to reproduce the problem so that I can come up with a solution. Thanks!

1 Like

OS : Windows 10 Home edition, version 1909 build 18363.1316
CPU : Ryzen 5 2500u
GPU : None, CPU integrated graphics
Display : Razer Raptor WQHD 144Hz (resolution is at 2560x1440, windows scaling is at 125%)

You can reproduce this by simply pressing alt + enter. Notice how the “native” full-screen mode does not enable (screen does not black out temporarily, input lag does not decrease, etc), but rather Roblox’s implementation of full-screen does. Before the patch, native fullscreen could be entered by pressing alt + enter. Other games (source games, Destiny 2, etc) all make use of this functionality, and the client has until yesterday’s update.

When you experience this issue, are you using the beta app experience or the non-beta app experience?

1 Like

I am using the non-beta app experience.

1 Like

Here’s a temporary fix, although you have to do it each time roblox updates.

4 Likes

I actually did not even know about Alt Enter, I feel like it should have been a thing that should’ve been more talked about, I do not know how I played 4 years of roblox without knowing. But, the app beta, which I have, seems to have the same issue, I can only fix it when I do the Flag Editing thing. And that’s it.

I did the flag editing and I don’t get a black out but I do feel a major input lag improvement, does that mean I’m not using native full-screen then?

I’m also experiencing this problem.

Windows 7
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT (4GB)
Display: Samsung LC24RG50 (144 Hz, 1920x1080, standard scaling, connected with HDMI)
I’m using the regular, non-beta Roblox client.

Whilst you can enter full screen by use of alt + enter, it’s not prioritizing ROBLOX and using all available resources, this can be very difficult to notice for many people, especially those who haven’t played with it before, as well as those with fast refresh rate monitors or powerful PCs, however, for those who have used it in the past there’s a very distinguishable difference between how it worked before and how it works now. I am experiencing this as well.

Windows 10
AMD Ryzen 5 3600x
AMD Radeon RX 580 (8GB)
60hz HP 1920 x 1080 monitor
Regular client

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

Please note that filling a bug report does not guarantee that it will be fixed once triaged.

1 Like

I did notice when you’re in native fullscreen that the topbar on the app experience that shows up when you hover over the top part doesn’t work, is that possibly why it was disabled?

Any update to this? The native fullscreen option was extremely useful, not being able to use it without doing flag editing is really annoying. Was this a final decision?

1 Like