Need Feedback on Dodgeball Game

IMPORTANT: THIS TEST IS SOLELY TO TEST THE CONCEPT OF THE GAME. THERE WILL BE LOADS OF MISSING FEATURES WHEN TESTING. A list is provided below of what is missing and bugs that are known.

Hey Developers! I have started working on this dodgeball project for quite some time and I want to soft-launch the game for testing and feedback. There are some things I need information on that will determine if I should continue working on this game based on the potential this game has. Some things to note:

• The game is still riddled with unintentional bugs that are not game-breaking but rather might confuse some players. There may be one game-breaking bug where when the round is finished with no player in the game, the game may freeze, but I never encounter this bug before. Feel free to report any more bugs if there are any that I have not mentioned.
  • As of now, I am a solo developer that made everything you see in this game with some instances being temporarily modified free model maps. I have friends who help give ideas, but everything is brought together by me.

Bugs/Missing features that you should be aware of, but not exclusive to:

• Test Dummies appear on the map
  • Title is not final and will change on release
  • Class preview does not update upon selecting different tabs
  • Mastery System is not implemented
  • EXP System is not implemented
  • There are no possible ways to earn money at the moment
  • Camera transition to nothing when the round end
  • 5 randomly cloned copies of the player
  • You can hit your own teammate during team matches
  • Weird multiple UIs appear when first joining the game
  • Missing Tutorial
  • Missing Class Skin Shop
  • Missing Inventory Tab
  • Missing Credit Tab
  • Partial missing settings
  • Random buttons (for mobile players, not working)

Here are some things I want feedback on, but feel free to add additional comments:

• How is the game performing in terms of performance? (Lag, frame drops, etc.)
  • Does the game lack any sort of feature?
  • Gameplay-wise, does it feel choppy, smooth, or fun to play with?
  • Should I begin advertising the game as it is to the public to receive public feedback with all the features you see now? Specifically, only gameplay, one gamemode, and a class shop system ( with all bugs fixed of course)
  • Would you suggest this to a friend?

These questions are questions I am looking for answers to but do not feel as if you need to answer these questions.

Last thing, there is a report button on the top left of the screen (or behind the beta mic button if you have voice chat). Feel free to use this to send suggestions as this will be sent to my text channel!

Due to a lack of instructions on how to play, here are the controls:

• Release Left Mouse Button to throw the ball.
  • Hold Left Mouse Button to throw further and hit harder on release

Should I continue working on this game?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

2 Likes

I think you should continue on working this game and also can I make u a free gfx I’m kinda free rn so yea

3 Likes
  • In my opinion, you should always move forward
  • And never stop
3 Likes

Tested your game with my sibling’s account, and I have to say that there’s room for improvement.

I think that the game’s title is pretty confusing. It advertises itself as Dodgeball, and when most people think of that, they mostly think of “e.g. you being eliminated when you get hit by a ball”. However, for this game, you have to do slightly more and hit your opponents towards the void, which may confuse some.

Maybe a tutorial of some sort. Since the title can be a bit confusing to players who have a “traditional” idea of Dodgeball on Roblox, you can make one that leads players through the UI, how to play and score points, buying a class and so on.

I feel that the gameplay is slightly boring. It’s pretty interesting for the first few rounds, but as more time passes, there isn’t really any challenge to hit players. It’s just trying to hit spam jumpers into the void. I suggest to do something like Untitled Tag Game and make the Player run with custom animations, or something along those lines.

I don’t really have an answer for this. If you really believe that you have most areas of the game covered for Players to find the game engaging, go ahead - though I suggest you advertise it by word on Discord, Twitter, YouTube and so on, beside relying on Ads (if that’s what you were going for).

Coincidentally, when I was using my sibling’s account, one of their friends joined and started a proper match. They were pretty confused on how the game worked, though, so a tutorial will be highly beneficial to new users.

:hammer_and_wrench: Extra Suggestions/Bugs

1. Ball does not come back onto the Player’s hand after being thrown for some time?
  • When I first joined a match, the ball, which was supposed to stay on the Player’s hand, just slid off it. Did you forget to add attachments?
  • When I attempted to throw the ball, another ball spawned and flew towards the direction I threw the ball at.
  • However, the thrown ball doesn’t come back to the Player’s Hand. Instead, when the Player attempts to throw again, the thrown ball attempts to teleport back to the Player as its starting position, and flies towards the direction I throw.
  1. Character previewed not showing in the “Classes” menu.

I was a bit confused when I clicked on the “Baller” Class, but it just stayed stuck to what I assumed was the “Sniper” class.
  2. Your report button is hidden behind the Text on the main menu.
    Pretty minor, but this pretty much blocks the button from being seen by the Text. Players who wants to report something through the Main Menu would have to click around until they find the button.
  3. Chat constantly informing about the Player changing Teams.
    Slightly unprofessional, since although the Leaderboard tab was disabled, Players are still informed in the Chat when you change their teams according to which area they’re at. Take a look in this DevForum post on how to disable the Team Messages.
  4. (Potentially) Tab on top doesn’t reset its scores if a top Player of a team leaves.

This might be a misconception on my end, but when I was playing with my sibling’s friend, they left nearing the end of the match, and when the next match was started (without them), the old scores were still there.

:question: Uncategorised bug reports

1. Dummy still spawning in Matches.
    Not sure if you meant for this to happen just for people on the DevForum to test, but the Dummies spawn on all maps. A Test Map exists too, but I assume you’re removing that soon in the Public release.

:melting_face: That’s all from me, overall I feel that it’s still a game that has potential! Just keep on working hard!

1 Like

Thanks for the amazing feedback! Not only have I taken your suggestions into consideration, but this has helped give me a sense of direction if the time I have put in is worth the effort. I have also changed some things in-game and on this post to reduce further confusion when testing.

1 Like

Feel free to do so! I’ll take things into consideration with permission of course.

Forgotten to add one more bug in my main post:

• Credits and Inventory buttons on the Main Menu are unresponsive.

But of course, I wish you all the best in your game! :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

I would keep going and not give up on the game because if you add minor things to make the game etter it can become popular its already good now though

1 Like