New Animation Editor Workflow and some bug fixes

Thanks for bringing this up. Technically having a part with a motor6D that has Part0 and Part1 set to itself will cause a loop, which shouldn’t be allowed. Is it possible to generate the Motor6D only when you are ready to attach the weapon, or perhaps for you to move the Motor6D somewhere else temporarily when you are going into the animation editor to animate, and then put it back on once you are done. We apologize if this has disrupted your workflow. Hopefully one of those suggestions should unblock you for the time being. We will also address the screen being blank after the error appears.

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing these issues out. Will have to do further investigation into the cause of the slowdown. Is it the combination of hovering over a part and moving the camera at the same time that causes this?

Well i can move the unwated Motor6D somewhere else, sure.
But that blank screen after the error shouldnt be really there :stuck_out_tongue:
Thanks for replying!

Can you expand your output window upwards (maybe a little more than twice as much), that way the next time you get the error and take a screenshot I can see more of the error output?

My animator really didnt like the old workflow. hopefully this is better!

It isn’t caused by moving the camera while hovering over a part.
I’ve made a simple FPS visualizer using a particle emitter to test this, here’s what happens when I hover over a part:

There are noticeable frame drops even when my camera is completely still. Also, the frame rate is stable after I hover over the part. When I hover over the part, it will lag for about a second, then the frame rate will become stable again. This could be a problem with the SelectionPart that is in the workspace, since it’s constantly creating and deleting the ForManipulation value.

3 Likes

Does the autosave feature also save your edit history?

For example, if I accidentally press and animate a different rig, and then switch back to the one I was animating originally, will I be able to undo the edits I made on the original rig before I accidentally switched?

1 Like

Currently no, although I absolutely think that is functionality we should consider supporting. Thanks for bringing it up

2 Likes

Here it is.

2 Likes

Hey, uh, latest AnimationEditor updates have really ruined my entire animation process, I had a semi-complex gun rig, it worked fine before the new additions - I’ve been working on this project for over a year now, and I really don’t want to go back and restart these rigs all over again, is there any way to like, get the version from ~3 days ago?

I genuinely had 0 issues with it at all, but now I’m stuck on hold until I find a new way of animating.
Hell, I even worked my way into getting new membership so I can post this, lol.

I know why the error is happening, I just don’t want it to happen anymore, it worked absolutely perfectly before, and I’d really really really rather not change it.

I’m sorry that this change has disrupted your workflow. Would you be able to send me one of the rigs so I can see if there is a workaround to unblock you? Is there a specific reason that you need one part to be driven by two different motors? If you have a specific use case that can only be satisfied by doing this, I don’t mind loosening up some of the restrictions, but I need to make sure of the use case first

2 Likes

Thank you, I’ll try to track down the source of this error

Hey, the new animation editor really caught me off guard as I thought this was a brand new glitch lol. I realized it was meant for the purpose of switching between rigs which is great. The problem that is occurring for me is when I go file>save, a new window pops up in where as it used to be integrated within the UI of the editor. With the window pop up, I can’t view the actual save button or the names of the animations. This could be just a simple problem on my end like a setting I should change. I’m on laptop. I’m really not sure how to work around this, but for right now this is interrupting my workflow because I can’t save anything. https://gyazo.com/2a828f5256c9ff5347008f8ecbce5a73

1 Like

This might be related to our default size getting ignored for some popup windows. What happens when you attempt to resize the window by grabbing and dragging the edge?

While I investigate this, there is a bit of a hacky workaround to save your data. Since everything you do is auto saved, when you are ready to save your work as a separate animation, go switch to another random rig, and then switch back. Then in the explorer, expand your rig and find the “AnimSaves” object. Under that should be an Keyframe Sequence instance called “Automatic Save”. Duplicate that instance and then rename it. That is essentially the same thing as saving via the Animation Editor Save window.

The new Animator editor looks good :+1:

Awesome! When I resize it my screen goes black and it glitches for a few seconds before returning back to studio which is then completely unusable. This might be because of laptop’s strength to handle it.

I’m having allot of issues with the Animation Editor. I work with Custom rigs, and the Animation Editor doesn’t seem to like it.
I’ll try to explain in as much detail what happened:
So, i tried to open the animation editor and selected a custom rig that had not Primary part and got this error: Plugin_-1.Project.AnimationEditor.Code.ViewportScripts.ViewportScriptFlyCamera:69: attempt to index field 'PrimaryPart' (a nil value)
So i set a primary part for my rig. I got met with a screen that said “This is not a valid R15 avatar”, but that was normal. But then i went to press any button inside of the Animation Editor. When you press any button with a custom rig, the screen just immediately goes back to the “Select a rig to animate” screen. There is no way to fix this and when you get this error several times, studio crashes.
Don’t get me wrong i really love the work you guys put into the editor, but can’t there be a temoral “Go back to previous version” button when a big update like this releases? That would be really handy.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information! Could you provide me with the model that you are using so I can investigate what is happening? Also are these the only steps you are performing? Meaning, if you opened a new baseplate, imported this model, and then attempted to do the same steps you just listed, will the error you are experiencing always occur?

I still experience the errors, even if i open a new baseplate.
I did not create the rig that i was using, because our mesher did, so i will message you the OBJ file.
Am i allowed to?

it would be easier if you take the rig in studio, right-click and “Save to File” (rbxm) and just send that