New Audio API [Beta]: Elevate Sound and Voice in Your Experiences

I noticed that the properties of RollOFMaxDistance and …MinDistance doesn’t exists anymore.
There is a way to change the distance the sound can travel using this new system?

9 Likes

already been using this, love it!

now I wait for 3d audio muffling when played through objects/raycasted bouncing :pray:

2 Likes

What’s the way to have surround-sound in your experiences? I.e. normal voice chat over spatial voice.

2 Likes

Wow, this is an extremely powerful update to the audio engine. I’m already brainstorming lots of cool ways to use this.

Just to be clear, this update does not do anything about the 30 (iirc) player per server limit on voice chat availability? I’m assuming that AudioDeviceInputs will simply not do anything in games that either:

1. Don’t have voice chat enabled
  2. Exceed the 30 player/server limit

Is this correct?

2 Likes

Lack of custom rolloff feels like a huge missing piece of this. Once that’s implemented, this’ll be fantastic overall.

9 Likes

there doesn’t appear to be any options for custom rolloff. This is problematic as there is no scenario in my games where I don’t want to control this. Without it, sounds blend in with each other in a realistic, but extremely overwhelming manner. With old Sounds, I could just tweak some settings. With the new APIs, I now need scripts and Heartbeat loops to do the same thing. Can we get these back?

Yeah – the Sound.RollOffMinDistance/RollOffMaxDistance/RollOffMode properties are definitely more elegant than writing distance attenuation by hand :sweat_smile: – we’re starting off without them, but this is just the first version of the API, and rolloff management is at the top of our list for future revisions.

Mainly, we want to support this thoughtfully, rather than porting the Sound properties as-is: the Min/Max properties are convenient for defining full-volume and zero-volume boundaries, but the 4 RollOffModes are pretty obscure and don’t do a great job of conveying or controlling what happens between those two radii.

17 Likes

Just spitballing, but perhaps a NumberSequence could be used for configuring attenuation.

12 Likes

How do I insert VoiceChatService, ive been looking and cant find it.

4 Likes

7 Likes

This is a great new feature, but the only concerns that I have are if Sound instances will eventually be picked up by the AudioListener instances, as well as being able to set the roll-off distance of AudioEmitter instances. :+1:

3 Likes

My next game focuses heavily on voice chat … this may be the best timed roblox update of all time for me

4 Likes

It’s tedious more than anything.

4 Likes

I really like this idea and look forward to seeing what we can make out of this. I can tell that some developers will literally milk this new change to make fresh new content in their games

2 Likes

Yep, works now! Thanks for fixing it!

3 Likes

Thank god, finally. Really nice update. I’ve been waiting for this for so long.

2 Likes

I have looked all over and I cant seem to find a place to change the range of how far the audio emitter emits.

Has this been implemented yet

4 Likes

Any updates to add a Effect bus? route all effects to 1 bus then back to the output? similar to a DAW
instead of having 1 wire to per effect then back to the output since its a bit messy

3 Likes

Honestly an amazing update
But does anyone know how I can make a sound go further? was trying to make a sort of intercom type system just to test the update but the voice chat sounds dont go very far

Also there should be some way to have an AudioListener hear every interaction group

2 Likes

This is a fantastic addition to bring more realism into voice enabled games. I have an adventure game, and this would be perfect for players to communicate via radios/walkie talkie to other players anywhere in the map.

2 Likes

being able to make specific audiolisteners hear every interaction group would theoretically be pretty useful for preventing feedback loops imo.
i already got it to almost work, the only issue is the players cant hear any audios that can go into the mic, unless its coming out of the intercom

[just realized i can just put more then one audio listener]

2 Likes