New Audio API [Beta]: Elevate Sound and Voice in Your Experiences

Is there any ETA when AudioAnalyzer:GetSpectrum will get fixed? We would like to use it in Tower Defense Simulator, for one of our Towers, but I find it kinda odd it was disabled in its entirety.

5 Likes

Will this be needed to create any type of sound or does the old audio api stay?

@ReallyLongArms I appreciate this update and decided to put it in my game for the Freddy Fazbear reference, but I have found a bug, since you mentioned this in the original post:

but It does not get automatically filled in until I tamper with the AutoLoad property, Here is the video of the issue to help you understand what I mean:

Hopefully this bug gets fixed. Thanks for reading

The old audio api most likely will stay, There’s nothing to worry

1 Like

Ahh – looks like this is happening because IsReady does not fire changed events, so the UI doesn’t know that it should refresh unless some other property changes.

We’ll get that fixed – thanks for reporting!

3 Likes

Hey you’re the person who made Indirecta and the well known iComm!
How do i get the suntimes app to work and the sun and moon app?

2 Likes

By chance, does that issue apply to AudioAnalyzer.RmsLevel as well? Changes to that property are currently not recognized by .Changed or :GetPropertyChangedSignal(), too.

Or is that behavior intentional, for the same reason that is documented about the AudioAnalyzer.PeakLevel property (because of how often the property is updated)?

That was intended, for the same reason – both RmsLevel and PeakLevel are calculated by a separate audio processing thread that runs more often than the framerate

2 Likes

Hey, when we mute a player by setting their AudioDeviceInput.Muted = true, their mic icon above their head doesn’t show they are muted

They can still enable/disable their mic, but no other players can hear their voice.

Are you planning on adding a core UI element if the players mic is muted by the game? The current UX is confusing to players. It makes it look like my mic is broken, not muted

2 Likes

Hi can you not use AudioAnalyzer on server? Only seems to work on client.

I’ve had the same thing but with emitters and outputs. Are you requesting from the server or client because personally for me client only works.

New work with tweaking microphone input. Music channeled through mic test

7 Likes

I enabled the UseAudioApi property under voice chat service, but now players just can’t hear each other and I have no idea why.

When that property is enabled, Voice Chat has to be routed through an AudioDeviceInput which would then need to be hooked up to some of the other newly added objects, such as an AudioEmitter or AudioDeviceOutput in order for the audio to be transmitted in-game.

This means that you would either need to enable VoiceChatService.EnableDefaultVoice, which does the following:

Or, you can keep EnableDefaultVoice turned off and create / modify the objects via Scripts whenever necessary so that you have more control over when and how Voice Chat can be used. This approach was utilized for the walkie talkies / handheld radios from the Audio API Tutorial example place.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll try to port it to client, I used server

1 Like

Finally seeing a change in the elevation toward sound design in new and existing experiences will be very interesting when this API comes more into fruition. A well deserved update/change I love to see!

1 Like

Can I put a request in to allow us to use the GetConnectedWires(pin) method on some of these Sound Instances. Currently it is locked behind Plugin security

3 Likes

I want to bump this because allowing Volumetric audio to work with objects holding AudioEmitters would be powerful.

I want to have nice ambience for a stream of water in my game, but with AudioEmitters it’s not possible unless I make a ton of them. And I, of course, want to begin using this new API - but this is still something old sounds have over the new API.

Combining these two features would be amazing.

5 Likes

For those that need help:

6 Likes

Would be cool if there was an instance or function to specifically translate voice to a string, AI seems to be a high priority for Roblox so it’d fit in nicely. This would open the door to many new games, games like Phasmophobia listen to your voice calling out the ghosts’ names to trigger events, something currently not possible on Roblox.

Hi, does this place have AmbientReverb set on the SoundService? Does this bug happen if you set it to NoReverb?

When you say “overtime”, you mean that this doesn’t happen right away, but you have to wait a while? After how long does this happen?

Does this happen for AudioPlayers as well, or just for AudioDeviceInputs?

2 Likes