New Curriculum Paths and Localized Creator Documentation

After 17 years in development, hopefully it will be worth the wait. - someone at Roblox, probably.

14 Likes

Title caught me off guard, thought this was Roblox-in-school xD

I noticed this the other day while scrolling through the Docs, so this has been out for a little (very little) while. Glad to see Roblox stepping up to more in-depth tutorials.

13 Likes

Wow! No more spending hours looking for roblox tutorials, and getting actual tutorials!

14 Likes

Localization is a great addition, however, I would prefer having the docs in english (instead of french). It translates to french by default, and when I go to change the language, it says that it is in english… So I have to put it to french, then go back into that menu and then put it back to english. However that setting DOES NOT SAVE (Cookies should be enabled). So yeah, very annoying

I also tried switching the language of firefox to english. Didn’t seem to change a thing

9 Likes

I like this. As a dev that struggled to learn how to make a game, like many others. I love this. I would like to suggest another option of learning. Have the Curriculum have the person learn a script of (anything really). Then have them try to change it do something else. That’s how I was able to learn, by going through Yt tutorials/devforum and messing with the code. To see what each “line of code” did what.

Also one noticeable broken script that I fixed. Now I use it to make 4 to 5 different functions. That I needed.

8 Likes

Hello i would like to report a bug regarding translation of documention:

As Italian the new translation feature is very bad,
the words are totally meaningless because they are translated very badly.
literally the documentation translated into my language is unusable, so I tried to change it to English but every time I select English it returns Italian.

Please fix this bug as right now it’s impossible to use the documentation.
Here’s video reproducing this bug

As Weel all the Search of function in the documentation page while translated It doesn’t work because the system mixes English and Italian at all

12 Likes

Im having this same issue too.

3 Likes

This is really quite nice, but I’m concerned about roblox programming education.

I’ve spoken with the teachers at my school who teach programming, and the content that roblox has for education and courses, like learning to program is so minimal it’s barely enough to teach a two-three week class, much less half a semester, which is the minimum. Especially for a middle or high school class, the amount of material is really lacking, especially with a set way to learn progressively, going more advanced as you go, with more activities. I think the lack of material is specifically with the Education tab.

I know you guys are trying your best, and I really appreciate what you’re doing, but if we could get more material, it’s possible they could actually teach that in classes at my school.

5 Likes

This is awesome. I wish I had something like this when I started making Roblox games a couple months ago. But anyways… I will still take a look at it, maybe I can still find some useful information in it.

5 Likes

can someone give TL:DR I am too lazy to read all the yapping

3 Likes

@Tomi1231 @Sonostrano20 @lrogerorrit

Thank you for flagging up this issue. I have escalated this to the appropriate team, and I’ll let you know when we have a solution.

5 Likes

how does this effect tidal wave taking over acheron as #1 demon??

3 Likes

Good looking! I am glad localization is being pushed more, especially in area of documentation - I will definitely have to leave some feedback in the Q&A.

1 Like

I’m gonna see if this can get my friend to understand studio…

2 Likes

The one on Environmental Design (and maybe the last bit of the platformer one) seems pretty useful to me. I think the polishing and performance aspect is something I really need some help on for my next game, so I will definitely be checking that out sometime soon. Looking forward to what’s next and how it could help!

1 Like

The best way to learn how to use Roblox Studio is to figure it yourself.
Same thing for those who want to learn Lua programming: copying and pasting code will not make you better at scripting, since you don’t try to figure out what to do by yourself.

So uhh, I don’t think that your tutorials are really useful in any case since you just gave the place file at every step in your documentation.

Although I agree that by copy pasting code you don’t learn
I disagree that these tutorials are useless - they DO HELP

You might know your coding… and it seems a waste
But as a beginner, been messing around on coding
It has helped click where I was wrong, and insightful none the less

So a BIG Thanks to @Roblox Hope to see more of these in the near future

3 Likes

Any updates on when this will be fixed? I’d like to be able to have my documentation in English, but its still auto-displaying it in my local language, even though its set to show it in english

1 Like

TLDR: Roblox, as a major corporation, needs to develop a comprehensive educational experience to teach LuaU systematically. The current reliance on third-party creators for education has flaws, and while efforts have been made to improve documentation, it falls short of providing engaging and proper scripting technique education. Many developers lack the capability or incentive to create educational content. Roblox’s significant resources and access to educators make it imperative to address this educational flaw, aligning with its interests in cultivating more skilled developers and enhancing the overall quality of user-generated content on the platform.

Introduction
The most serious flaw in the Roblox platform’s design is its approach to education. Roblox currently relies on third-party creators to teach its core concepts. Since 2006, Roblox has relied on user-created experiences as a platform. Developers who are seeking to learn coding on Roblox without scripting knowledge face educational challenges. Roblox lacks effective education, which forces third-party sources to be the only way to learn Roblox in an engaging manner. These third-party sources are not reliable as they aren’t taught by real educators. These shortcomings result in significant flaws in the quality of Roblox games. While Roblox has tried to address these issues by improving the quality of its documentation, these efforts are still unengaging and don’t teach proper scripting techniques. Frost, like many users, is an aspiring creator. Frost has “always wanted to learn Roblox’s Lua-derived programming language” and is “interested in learning through interactive experiences—a more modern and entertaining approach.” Frost believes that this method of learning is “way more efficient” and helps her to “not easily get bored.” (MasterSapphireFrost, 2023) This begs the question of what Roblox is doing to address this issue. Roblox’s current reliance on third-party platforms has harmed their developers because there is no quality assurance in the education provided by these platforms, resulting in poor scripting practices and inconsistent tutorials.

Not Realistic For Most Developers
The majority of developers are incapable of creating meaningful educational experiences. Developers’ interests are typically directly related to profitability and popularity. This highlights the lack of incentives in the Roblox developer community for creating educational experiences. Furthermore, most developers lack an educational background and are often very young, which can make topics difficult to learn and potentially alienate developers who want to learn from Roblox.

Roblox’s Huge Access to Resources
This is not true on the Roblox platform due to the limitations imposed on developers. Roblox benefits greatly from having more developers, which can offset the need for such an experience to be monetized. Roblox has access to a large number of educators and scripting instructors. Roblox must address its most serious design flaw by utilizing its access to educators to create an interactive, strategic, and engaging LuaU education experience.

Roblox’s Best Interest
Roblox’s interests are inextricably linked to the availability of more and better developers. Creating such an educational experience would not only allow many aspiring developers to learn, but it would also shorten the platform’s learning curve and have the potential to produce higher-quality contemporary developers. Roblox’s interests are also directly related to the quality of user-generated content on the platform. With such an experience, the long-term quality of Roblox experiences can be significantly improved, resulting in a platform with more polished and refined games.

Roblox’s evolution has been marked by numerous complexities. Roblox would benefit greatly from directing its vast resources toward directly improving the quality of education on its platform, shortening the learning curve, and developing better games. With Roblox currently investing a significant portion of its funds in creating higher-quality experiences, investing in this educational platform would help meet these objectives.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.