New explorer update causes lower frame rates on macOS

Reproduction Steps

I’m using a 2020 MacBook Air running macOS 12.6.

1. Open a file in Roblox Studio.
  2. Enable the explorer window while it is docked. The explorer must be the currently selected window if it is part of a tab group
  3. Use the viewport. Significant frame drops will occur.
  4. Navigate from or close the explorer window to recover the frame rate

Expected Behavior

60 FPS framerate while using the viewport as the norm from before the latest modal update

Actual Behavior

While the explorer window is docked and the currently selected tab in a tab group/visible on screen, significant frame drops will occur in the viewport.

Bug in action:

Closing explorer window:
Screen Recording 2022-10-02 at 6.07.15 pm

Workaround

Closing the explorer window or switching to another tab in a tab group will restore frame rate, but time consuming

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Performance
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-09-28 00:09:00 (+01:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2022-10-02 00:10:00 (+01:00)

8 Likes

I just made a post on this. Its really annoying when scripting as everything has a one second delay. Please fix!

4 Likes

I am also experiencing the same problem on my Mac, closing explorer did restore the frame rate. Hoping this will be fixed soon.

I also realized the properties tab is also causing FPS drops when I’m building, closing that also helped.

3 Likes

This issue hasnt been adressed. I face unsubstantial amounts of lag whenever I script after these recent updates. Even if the baseplate is empty, I have not installed any new plugins or have malicious content. Its just been crazy lag scripting has become a nightmare.

2 Likes

I’ve been getting this lately too, on a Mac Studio with the latest version of macOS. When testing the explorer panel is impressively slow and some other widgets like the property panel also seem to have worsened, so same thing as previous posts. This is a pretty big slowdown of my workflow right now.

2 Likes

are your scripts rubberbanding?? I tend to type at 93wpm and every letter takes a second to be visible. This issue has never happened before and is making me complete work in such a slow tedious matter

1 Like

I’ll share a link here to a post I made that describes a temporary solution that is making Studio on the Mac at least usable for me: Studio Design Refresh - Docking Overhaul & Ribbon Upgrade - #478 by OurPub

Looks like viewport frame drops have been resolved in the latest update, although hover animations in the explorer window itself seem to be choppy and delayed which I didn’t address in the first post. Remaining issue is very minor.

I wouldn’t consider this fixed just yet, there’s still many many issues which other users such as myself have.

Default viewport - 60 FPS
When I hover over, select, or really do anything with the explorer - 10 FPS
When the script editor is open - 10 FPS

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.