New Humanoid Physics Controller - Beta

Is there a script that does this?

1 Like

I have, but it makes jumping very awkward. It makes it so that you can jump before you even touch the ground.

1 Like

How do I do this? Can someone help me please!

1 Like

I have been working on a bhopping system for months now and the new controller will definitely make that system easier to create, cut the time it takes to make the system and similar systems, and will remove the need to use deprecated features such as body movers.
I am super excited for this to finally release!

1 Like

UPDATE!

Hello Devs, sorry for the lack of information on the future of the new character controllers. Weā€™ve been hard at work fixing bugs, addressing feedback from a variety of sources, and working on more Humanoid related features that put more customization into your hands.

First, I wanted to bring some attention to some API removals.
The following API will be removed in this weekā€™s update. They have already had their behavior disabled and theyā€™ve been hidden from the Properties window so the expectation is that they arenā€™t being used. Otherwise, please be sure to remove existing references in your scripts to avoid error messages after the release:

AirController.OrientationSpeedFactor
AirController.OrientationMaxTorque
AirController.VectorForce
ClimbController.OrientationSpeedFactor
ClimbController.OrientationMaxTorque
GroundController.AlignSpeed
GroundController.AlignTorque
GroundController.TurningFactor
ControllerBase.RigidityEnabled

We are currently getting the API reference updated on all the existing properties, as well as improved guides on how to best leverage the Controller instances.

Otherwise, we are getting ready to end the beta and release the ControllerManager+Controller instances. Hereā€™s a rough outline on whatā€™s happening next:

• ControllerManager.RootPart property releases. This enables you to use a ControllerManager without a Humanoid, and set it up however you like. Youā€™ll be able to write your own scripts that set the ActiveController and Moving/FacingDirection. Youā€™ll also have the option to configure the Ground/ClimbSensor to handle how floors and ladders are detected.
  • We will be releasing a set of scripts that recreate the Humanoid State Machine behavior and configure the ControllerManager for you. By using these scripts, youā€™ll get the same default controller behavior you get while trying the beta now, but with better support of using Humanoid properties.
  • The current ControllerManager opt-in behavior will be discontinued. The described set-up of putting a ControllerManager under a Humanoid in StarterPlayer will no longer work. Using Lua to drive the ControllerManager (either with our scripts or your own) is the only option going forward.
  • The Humanoid will separately update its physics controllers internally. This ensures that all Humanoids are using the updated physics even if you arenā€™t using the new Lua Humanoid State Machine or Controller instances.

More information about each of these steps will be released as separate announcements in the coming weeks, so look forward to that!
And of course another huge thank you for all the testing and feedback. Iā€™m glad weā€™ve been able to work together to shape this feature into something that works for everyone - and this is still only the beginning!

24 Likes

Does this mean that the controller is available for use on the server?

Glad to hear this is still being worked on actively.

4 Likes

Is this already replacing the old movement? I noticed recently struggling to jump off the edge of a ledge in Studio playtest.

Note: I have beta features on, and the character controller beta is on.

EDIT: Looked at above post, seems to have replaced old movement.

2 Likes

Has the coyote time been fixed yet? You canā€™t seem to jump off the edge of a part consistently. Note that it only happens when beta features are on.

3 Likes

One thing, PLEASE make it easier to have snappier movement, and to increase midair control. The current ground controller doesnā€™t let you snap to the desired movement direction on the ground like you could with humanoids. While that is useful for realistic games, but for games more focused on precise movement, it makes things a lot harder. Same with midair controls.

4 Likes

Yes we will continue to make improvements and add features where necessary.
Are you not able to get quicker turning by adjusting the TurnSpeedFactor on the GroundController?

2 Likes

Glad to hear that!

Unfortunately, yes. Whenever I set it to higher values, instead of moving in the chosen direction faster, it just makes the character spin.

1 Like

Iā€™m starting to develop a game, can I use this and expect it to be released this year, or should I just stick with the default. stuff?

Also if dragging the controller under humanoid does not work anymore, how do I use it right now?

1 Like

I remember about a year ago you mentioned that you also plan to make players able to climb walls side to side after you fixed all the bugs. Will players be able to climb around corners aswell? Letā€™s say we have a room with 4 walls. 2 walls are covered in one ladder/truss that wraps around those 2 walls. Can a players climb to the other side? A 90 degree angle? Will this work for spheres and cylinders? The game Find Everything from Polyhex does a great job at what I am trying to describe. It has a phenomenal climbing system!

1 Like

Are you going to plan to make client position in sync with server position? Since a staff got an attention to this but it havenā€™t got fixed for a year!

This is a huge problem for competitive game like a local player perspective got hit from 5 studs away or further while otherā€™s perspective saw they have correctly hit the local player

5 Likes

Hello,

Iā€™m having this issue where when I insert the ControllerManager into the StarterHumanoid, it just will not let me jump.

Iā€™ve tried changing every single property on every single controller, but it wonā€™t work. Maybe Iā€™m doing something wrong?

Hereā€™s an image of the objects if thatā€™s any help.

Thank you in advance!

Found something pretty odd. When the RunningController is changed to these stats, movement on the ground acts strange.

Hereā€™s what I mean: When moving the character counter-clockwise, the character walks normally. But, when moving the character clockwise, the character walks slowly.

2 Likes

Isnā€™t that because you arenā€™t applying enough friction to even go that fast?

Iā€™m having this strange issue where jumping with the beta controller plays the jumping animation, but the jump barely lifts off the ground. I only added a StarterHumanoid and the ControllerManager, so all the controllers are the default ones. Itā€™s similar to if I set the jump power to 1 or jump height to some ridiculously low number in the legacy controller. If it helps, when I jump with the new controller, the ControllerManagerā€™s active controller changes to the AirController for a split second instead of the JumpController.

i think you have to code the jump controller now since the lua stuffs are coming out, they did say theyā€™re removing linear impulses of the controller in favor of ApplyImpulse of the BasePart so you have to code your own jump

luckily its as easy as making a JumpRequest for the user input service and checking if the FloorMaterial is not air at the moment

Will it be possible to change how quickly a character reaches full jump height?