New Humanoid Physics Controller - Beta

So now I can jump from a plane without falling back??? This is the best update so far this month.

Given that all of these updates are related to humanoid behavior, as well as the release of dynamic heads, Roblox probably had this in progress for a while. This seems to be a massive push for making humanoids become more customizable, realistic, and easier to work with, which I cannot wait to test out.

2 Likes

Amazing! but does this also mean the ability to stand on moving platforms? (a part being tweened for example) Either way, great update!

looks cool!
im looking forward to what this can bring to games, especially platformers and obbies.

I accidentally replied to someone, meant to just reply to the first post.
Looks really nice.
But I have on question: Is a more secure movement system planned? Like a system that still does movement on the client but also does it on the server and checks if the client is the same as the server.

1 Like

Are there any plans to allow developers to create their own custom controllers? (ex: a “hover” controller or some sort of a “flying” controller for a dragon NPC)

1 Like

This is GAME CHANGING. The new properties offered by these controllers will save me so much time scripting and overall will improve the game feel. Thank you so much engineers :happy4:

1 Like

Tried to test! Without a controller, you could ride on a platform that is moved by AlignPosition, after adding a controller, you stay in place and the platform leaves you

To add to this I’d also love to see better customization over swimming mechanics and some improvements to the SwimController. My game SharkBite relies heavily on swimming mechanics.

• Currently holding down Space Bar with the SwimController doesn’t make you go up like the old one did.

• Changing the MoveSpeedFactor makes no difference to the speed swimming upwards. A factor of 5 makes me swim fast sideways, and down but not upwards (it would be great if space bar also made you move up following the MoveSpeedFactor too, as the old swim mechanic ignored this). This helps games with Oxygen meters.

• I think the issue of drifting upwards is to do with the character density being 0.7 rather than 1. This could be fixed by us, but changing character density also effects the speed of swimming in different directions for some reason.

• Setting a high MoveSpeedFactor makes the character swim diagonally. This happened with the old swim mechanic too. It would be great if this could be fixed, I assume it’s something to do with the way the water mechanics work. I’d love to be able to make characters swim faster without this happening.

Sometimes the orientation of the character can glitch like so, making you swim facing the wrong way. I think this might have also occurred in the old swim mechanics too. I would be in favour in a rethink of the swimming mechanics.

Overall it’s great to see this taking place and the ability to adjust swim mechanics easily is a great step forward.

11 Likes

ok now we need a bool property called EnableShiftlockGlitch :lul:

2 Likes

Is there any plan to make these new controllers have a customizable down vector? It would be nice for games where you can walk on walls or planetary gravity like in super mario galaxy.

16 Likes

This is really cool! Previously, if the platform a player was standing on was moved by CFrames, this effect wouldn’t work. Is that still the case?

This is amazing, I just got around to making a custom character controller to achieve effects in this new controller that I wasn’t satisfied with, one of the best updates this year

The ladder thing is really cool, this has always annoyed me. Will we ever see an update where we can move left or right on ladders instead of strictly up and down?

4 Likes

FINALLY we can edit more behavior on the Humanoids. I have been looking for SO LONG for a way to make them turn slower or faster when walking, without using any physics constraints…

1 Like

I was so excited to have players just standing in a train while it moves instead of having to sit. Worked well when testing in studio once I enabled this new physics controller. Was stoked. But tried in game and it’s still all wonky like the old physics.

1 Like

Great update Roblox. I’ve been wanting something like this for a very long time now! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s in Beta right now. That means it probably doesn’t work in-game yet.

6 Likes

Sweet update, I think all of these changes will be good but especially the second and third key behaviour changes, I’ve recently been wondering how to keep momentum but soon I won’t even have to go into any complicated scripting. The third one with climbing parts has been a problem for a while but this feature will really make parkour and things like that more fun.

This is irrelevant but I just updated studio and for some reason, I just got the old icons back, I’m not complaining or anything but I feel like somehow I downgraded?!

This is an excellent start to making Humanoids more customizable. However, I have come across a number of things that just make it really unusable.

Old Controller:

New Controller:

I think it definitely needs more settings such as a decay time or a length to how long the VectorForce lasts.

just seems rather unreliable right now.

11 Likes