New Improvements to Streaming Enabled

Setting the ModelStreamingMode in StarterCharacter inside StarterPlayer to anything that is not Default and Nonatomic will for some reason remove all of the GUIs in StarterGui in-game. I’m not sure if this is intentional but it’s pretty annoying. The work-around I’ve found for this is setting the character to Default and setting the streaming mode to a desired mode after like a second after the player’s character load through code.

I don’t know if a similar idea has already been voiced, but I’ll share it anyway:
The ability to set an individual loading distance for an object.
For example, one tree has a distance of 256, while another has 512.

1 Like

Glad to see they’re trying to make streaming enabled good:3

Thanks for this report. We will investigate and fix as quickly as possible. Until there is a fix available I would recommend not using streaming modes for instances not under workspace.

1 Like

This is related to the issue @Ax3nx reported. Until we have fix enabled please don’t set the ModelStreamingMode for any model not under Workspace.

Beat me to it. <​insert block of text expressing approval of this idea here​>

It annoys me that Streaming -by design- developers have to deal with if they so happen to choose to enable it.

The issues at play:

• enable it, not use it
  • work around rather than with
  • dev isn’t in control, streaming controls the dev “… local scripts should be written to be tolerant of parts being streamed in and out.”
  • if you decide to toggle it at/after the midway point of a project’s development because you changed your mind, glhf converting that project’s codebase (though, that’s to be expected and isn’t necessarily streaming’s fault; what is streaming’s fault is if you decided at the beginning of a project, “lol, why did this ever leave beta with basically no goddam api to interface with it, I’ll pass on that…”- sparing yourself the burden)

Streaming is inexcusably “it’s my way or no way”- and yes, even after this update. Roblox designs streaming like it’s a “one size fits all”, assuming your game doesn’t get more complex than the Closed-course Baseplate™️ they test it in. Anybody who’s employed a workaround to streaming’s behavior implicitly agrees.

The solution:

Let us control replication on a per instance basis. I know what should/shouldn’t be replicated to players to suit my game’s needs, I don’t need a blackbox named “Streaming Enabled” to decide what’s best.
The rest was written here.

Everyone, not just fellas at roblox must understand that a developer’s intended replication behavior for instances in their game is contextual to what they desire and thus the context they desire often goes far beyond distance; devs employ hacky methods because they can’t achieve their creative image when they stay in the super small gap between the velvet ropes. Every reply to every Streaming Update almost always reeks of stockholm for this very reason. People reply with ideas they would like to have implemented to streaming… the idea may be good, might be bad, doesn’t matter in the end, because this is an XY problem.

10 Likes

Gotta love the way Roblox attempts to make developing more accessible and easier for developers with little steps like these.

I love the but i would love them more if there was a GetPersistentPlayers(); the name describes the function well but just in case just like model:GetChildren() it returns a table of players that have been subscribed to this function or player names

3 Likes

Oh ye if i have to keep a part streamed i’d just have to put it inside a model, that’s amazing roblox ye indeed

Thank you, we will fix the example in the nearest documentation update.

1 Like

Yes, and let’s also allow functionality of clients to replicate certain instances to the server too. It’s been a pain to do so ever since experimental mode was forced.

I don’t feel like this could replace streaming, but it could probably be a feature.

I’m not too sure how well that would resonate with Roblox as it’d most likely have many security implications, by design.

The server would likely need to read this property to validate this, so obviously that won’t be replicated.

1 Like

This was exactly what many of us needed in order to use Streaming Enabled. And as hoped it has made it more benefitial for our players. Quicker joining times, less FPS drops, being able to keep certain things loaded in that we need to. Just one problem…

Since we enabled Streaming Enabled, despite the improvements it made, we’ve been constantly experiencing disconnecting bugs. This is certainly down to Streaming Enabled, because this is happening to everyone including myself and my developers, and it never happened prior to us enabling Streaming Enabled. When a player get’s disconnected they get one of the two following errors:

Obviously, their internet connection is fine, and given that this happens to every player, this can’t be down to their internet. The error with code 279 only seems to happen when players are attempting to join, and only happens to the player in question. Error 277 however, the one that states to check internet connection, happens to every player in the server and they all get kicked at the exact same time. However, according to the roblox website, the server is still live and the players are still there. Thus I believe the server itself is crashing and nothing to do with the Roblox client.

If it wasn’t for these issues, I’d be fully using Streaming Enabled. Please could this be looked into, as it was quite disheartening to have this happen after waiting for a feature that we badly needed for so long.

6 Likes

What is the place id for where these problems are occurring?

I had to remove it from our public game because of the issues, as our players were finding it unplayable, but you can test it here. It only happens with a lot of people in a server at once though rather than just a couple of players.

Post edit: Link removed

If you use Opportunistic stream out then parts and models will be streamed out beyond a certain distance, assuming the models are atomic and have part descendants.

Can you share the place id for where it was enabled, so we can see if there are crash reports?

Yup, it was on here, I disabled Streaming Enabled about 4 hours ago and it was enabled about 2 days ago for the record:

Thanks in advance.

This is the same issue as I have previously reported through private messages. The server memory crashing issue hasn’t changed since at least august

1 Like