New In-Experience Text Chat System Public Release!

I mean…

chat-inline

But it’s whatever lol

I’ve also noticed a small bug where sometimes the text disappears even if I am hovering over the chat.

3 Likes

We’re actively working on the two issues (movement and delay) right now!

We’ve identified the source and are working on a solution, thank you for pointing this out!

Have you tried TextChatService.SendingMessage? If this is not a suitable alternative to your flow please let us know!

Is the movement going to be the same as the current chat (character stops moving after unfocusing the chat) or are you going to disable that behaviour entirely?

(the first option would be preferred)

We’re aiming to have identical behavior between both chats. The control scripts rely on events within UserInputService like TextBoxFocusReleased. Unfortunately a recent intentional change (within the last month) has prevented TextBoxes in CoreGui from raising these events.

What was even more surprising is that UserInputService.WindowFocused (another event the control scripts uses for the behavior) was firing in Studio but not in live games when TextBoxes are unfocused, preventing this wonky auto-run behavior from happening in Studio, making this behavior even harder to notice pre-release (during the Studio Beta period, no one was able to observe this since you were not able to publish games with TextChatService enabled).

We’re working now to remedy this.

6 Likes

I was referring to the misalignment shown here.

If the goal was to keep the Text aligned with the Menu Button above, I believe a good compromise to align the Chat Box and Chat Text simultaneously would be to keep the Text aligned with the actual Image inside the Menu Button, rather than the Box encasing it. This way, the Chat Text isn’t hitting the edges of the Chat Box while keeping misalignment to a minimum.

As it currently is, the current misalignment of the Chat Box is exponentially more likely to trigger OCD in others than my suggestion. Although if this were to be considered, it’ll likely require the readjusting of other elements such as the Leaderboard/Playerlist.

Potentially Offtopic

Speaking of ui misalignment, what IS that close button (the button that replaces the menu button when opened) when you open the Roblox Menu? It’s hard to comprehend HOW someone would fail to align that with the Menu Icon. No reason in the world not to do so either, meaning it was intentional or poorly done. I firmly believe that Quality Control needs to be bumped up considerably if something like that was able to ever pass without lots of consideration.

3 Likes

Is it possible to add Icons infront of someone’s name in chat?

2 Likes

It would work, unless the text gets filtered. Looking at the documentation, TextChatMessage doesn’t containt an unfiltered version of the message. If a sound id or a gear id is used in the command, it’s very likely to be filtered, preventing the command from working correctly.

1 Like

Ayo, doing this would add backdoor if command downloads other user’s product.

My exemple is with Blockate, where you can do !sound (sound id) to change the sound on the world and !gear (players) (gear id) to give a gear from the catalog to (players). The game I’m working is somewhat similar and I might add similar commands. But even so, other commands that take a username or display name could get filtered and thus wont work

I actually prefer it like this than if it was aligned with the topbar buttons (too much wasted screen space).

It can’t be the other way around as topbar buttons have to be padded since displays with rounded corners exist

What’s up with the delay before you can type? You end up trying to walk and speak but end up with the first letter missing and a bug that forces you to move the direction until you press the same key.

I dug around the new docs and I couldn’t find a way to process messages on the server. Additionally, there doesn’t seem to be any way to access the unfiltered contents of the message. Is this not possible or did I miss something?

i think this is an error on the chat bar, my screen size is 1920x1080
error

1 Like

I have been experiencing this issue where when I play test in Studio and the chat button is automatically disabled, the chat itself is still showing. This resolves itself when I re-open and close the chat.

2 Likes

it’s same for me

1 Like

Hi, please take a look at some of the replies above, this has been discussed and is being actively investigated!

2 Likes

Hi, is this still an issue? I can’t replicate this issue with your resolution

1 Like

A fix for this is being worked on!

2 Likes