New Keybinds for Keyboard Navigation

This keybind is in too common of a position on the keyboard (next to hitting Enter after chatting) that I’ve seen too many people say “my character is stuck!” because they can’t see that a button in the corner of my game has randomly selected.

Worse is that they don’t know how they did it and don’t know how to undo it (if they even notice the selection outline). This happened to me the first time too and I had to hit lots of keys to figure it out.

As well intentioned as the update is, you’ve confused far more people than you’ve aided with this one. The keybind needs a rethink.

Why not just add it as an option in the Escape menu?

5 Likes

this is incredibly intrusive, and very often inconveniences players for no reason (i’ve had multiple reports of people being “unable to move” and asked me to “get rid of this stupid blue grid”) is there no better default option than to force this on everyone?

6 Likes

Cool feature, how do I disable it?

3 Likes

Disable it automatically, nobody knows why there’s a blue box appearing all of a sudden and everyone’s resorting to keyboard smashing to turn it off.

You cannot disable this, but you can implement a dialog box that says “In selection mode” or something like that. If your game doesn’t support XBox then I see no harm in disabling the Selectable property of all GuiObjects.

is this really the only way to disable it? :neutral_face:

Revert this update homie. This is not it.

2 Likes

Same here. I’ve got games that are broken due to this keybind and am looking for a clear guide on how to disable it or override it.

so… how’d the discussion go?
are there any updates planned on distinguishing what state a user is in?

Hi! Sorry for the delay - changes can sometimes take a lot longer than expected :thinking:

We’ve added a notification when users toggle into this behavior to help clear things up (and moved over the CameraToggle notification to use the same thing).

We will continue to work on ways to ensure this is the best user experience possible :pray:

7 Likes

Thanks alot! This will help for the people who get constantly get stuck when accidentally pressing the button, without knowing what they did.

1 Like

The text that tells you how to toggle is static and doesn’t change from what key is really assigned to it.

If, for example, someone accidentally pressed a key that enables UI Navigation and that key (let’s say the ‘#’ key) isn’t assigned to backslash, then someone would be terribly confused and might think that they have broken the game, or worse, cannot move at all for something that’s time-sensitive and cannot find a way to disable it before it’s too late.

That toggle text should change for whatever key the toggle is set to.

As far as I know, it is not possible to change keybinds in Roblox.

Interesting. Now I’m not sure what is causing my issues then:

hash_as_key

Maybe specific locales have certain keys to use instead of the backslash. Maybe the toggle cannot set it as that key so it falls back to its next choice ("#"). Who knows? I just know that it’s another thing to be cautious about when I’m playing fast-paced games & using the chat.

It’s probably because Roblox is trying to be more convenient so that it doesn’t assign the key to a key on the keyboard that is combined. I don’t have the # key as an individual key on my keyboard, since it is combined with the 3 key.

I’ve just discovered why the hash is being used instead of the backslash… Get ready for a long post.

It’s most likely that people use a US QWERTY keyboard for their PC.

I am currently using a Logitech keyboard that uses the UK QWERTY layout.

In a short and specific description, the hash is moved from the number 3 key to a different position to make way for the pound sign (“£”). Note that it doesn’t replace the dollar “$” sign, which is on the number 4 key. The enter key is extended vertically to two keys, displacing the key above it next to the left shift, which gets smaller so the key can fit.

That’s why, when quickly sending a message out, it would be very easy to activate the toggle on a UK keyboard.
Here’s a comparison I took from Wikipedia page about British and American keyboards:

Wikipedia keyboard layout differences

Wait a minute, the backslash is next to the left shift key! What gives? Shouldn’t the toggle be to this backslash key, and not the hash?
Well, to answer that (and solve the mystery), we need to talk about another keyboard; the Magic Keyboard.

The Magic Keyboard is a keyboard by Apple, for their Mac computers. It does things differently.
They decided to edit all of the QWERTY layouts to keep symbols from moving around too much; like, for example, the backslash. This is to make the keyboard look the same regardless of where it’s from and to keep a uniform look for their keyboards.

Due to how consistent Apple is with their images, I can show you the differences between those two layouts. So, what do the US and UK keyboards look like?

Differences between UK/US layouts on an Apple Magic Keyboard.

Aha! Apple has allowed the hash to stay there, being in second place. The backslash in the UK keyboard is now near the enter key, where the [~ and #] key (on the Logitech keyboard) would be.
The symbols [`] and [~] merge into one key and move to where the backslash would’ve been. This allows for more symbols (± and §) to be available to the user.

So, Roblox sets the toggle to where it would be on a US QWERTY layout keyboard, which is the hash key on my Logitech keyboard.

2 Likes

How do you disable it? I can’t find an answer anywhere. Why can’t this be disabled in settings it’s annoying.

1 Like

contextactionservice:UnbindAction(‘EnableKeyboardUINavigation’)

1 Like

On my keyboard (UK), the button to toggle keyboard navigation is the # button rather than the \ button. This is not reflected in the UI and it still says “backslash to toggle” even though the backslash key does not do anything, the # key does.

Is your chat key the slash key?