New material - ForceField (v2.0)

I like those gradient borders on the material :+1:, pretty good addition if I do say so myself.

This could be used in so many ways. Thank you!

Yes, yes yes yes yes this is amazing! I can’t wait to experiment to see what effects I can make!

1 Like

Glad they released this material, it looks really nice this would be in a lot of great games. Thanks for the new update!!

The bug report already exists.
What I’m saying is that those mushed up faces tend to make this issue even more noticeable as you can clearly see the irregularities. This is only an issue with shadow maps.

The CSG method itself is excellent. The issue comes from conversion between parts and unions.

Or at least they look like the same issue

1 Like

This is so nice!,Time for some “hi-tech” shields. :smile:

1 Like

Could you put this feedback on a different topic please? It isn’t on-topic here and your feedback might be lost in the rest of the bunch. If you put it on the right topic, it is more likely to be found again.

2 Likes

So the animations only appear on mesh parts? Can we get a copy of the animation used in the pictures here? I want it :frowning:

6 Likes

I’ve waited so long for this feature! I can’t wait to try it out and see what limits can be pushed! Really appreciate this. :smiley:

Would love to see when Roblox would’ve add interpolation in Forcefield as optional. Especially decals. Anyway, this was very nice material, and it could be useful for Sci-fi games, even building.

I’m against the “performance” updates.

Compared previous and current versions on a low end computer - Intel Celeron, 3GB DDR3 RAM, Intel HD graphics, W10 Home, and there was a very minuscule FPS boost with the current version.

Tested with around 100 sphere meshes set to force field and there was barely any gain from my experience.

On my main computer, there was 0 gain, compared to the extremely low end machine that got maybe a micro second of frame time improvement.

Pixelization and removal of the double sided feature should be reversed.

11 Likes

High resolution textures will only cause issues on really low-end devices that don’t have enough video memory to store them, but even mid-range mobiles have enough power to run an entire map with 1024x1024 textures without visible issues.

An interesting fact is that cloning the mesh and reversing all normals will have a smaller performance impact than 2 sided faces.

1 Like

I tested it on a bare bones system that can barely run Windows without having to disable fancy ui effects, and the performance increase was a couple milliseconds of improved frame time, barely noticiable.

Doubling the triangle count ( having two parts ) isn’t better than making a triangle not have back face culling - it’s worse, since you’re quite literally doubling the triangle count. Not to mention, the engine has to update two parts instead of one.

3 Likes

double sided mesh issue is a regression and will be fixed (parts are okay) . pixelization would be fixed as well, hopefully on all quality levels

12 Likes

Thanks for the update. :slight_smile:

I was a bit concerned with how Forcefield removes the double-sided effect and was worried it wouldn’t be added in.

Glad to also hear that the pixelization problem will be fixed as well!! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m a bit confused on how to use this?

1 Like

I’d like to know exactly what that animation was trying to display. Was the texture itself animated (the asset link changes over RenderStepped)? Could you show us what the texture maps look like by themselves or from any other material? Thank you.

2 Likes

Found a Bug

When a mesh is set to ForceField Material all other mesh like that with the same texture even if not set to ForceField Material will then act/transform into ForceField Material if they have any Transparency set. Even at Transparency .1 they transform or act like ForceField Material.

Had another dev repeat the bug to make sure it wasn’t just my studio.

4 Likes

It might be worth filing this as a bug in Platform Feedback (use post approval if New Member) for visibility.

1 Like

Rendering extra geometry is much less expensive than rendering a double sided material, at least that’s usually the case as I don’t know how Roblox handles this.